Fram Ultra XG7317 24,362 miles- 3 OCI. With PYB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Fram Ultra XG7317 with 24,362 miles using 3- OCI's of early 2015 vintage PYB 5w-20 conventional motor oil.
From a 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport AWD 2L CVT with no makeup oil through the process. Most driving is highway-rural.
I put it on with my hands only and I have a death grip but it spun off by hand as well with minimum effort and I am super impressed with this combo. The CUV was smooth as silk and the adbv was very pliable. The picture angle makes it look distorted but it isn't- looks nearly new. The can outside was ragged off as it was rather loaded up with soot and I use only an oil extraction device with all oil changes on this car.

I buy way too many filters and oil as a hobby but on this my mothers car I'm going right back to the same products.
I could easily see this doing 30K miles or more. Right now IMHO the Ultra is King.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
FU cans don't seem to raise an eyebrow at high mile usage.

For cars that do not have any build up or are known sludge issues I think they are fine. But like any filter if it has a build up issue then a cheaper filter each time would be safer in case it clogs.

I'm not seeing that.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
That media looks a bit to "loaded up" for me to be happy. I chage that filter every OCI (12,000 miles) on my CR-V.

I can agree with that as all of the cars I have or work on were purchased new and had good oil and filters and are not
known to have sludge issues. I always wanted to wind out an Ultra and was a bit scared at what I may find but at 10K changes and cut opens it was like a waste of resources. But I would change the filter and oil on used cars as you suggest. These filters under $8 shipped to me a are cheap and proven.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz

For cars that do not have any build up or are known sludge issues I think they are fine. But like any filter if it has a build up issue then a cheaper filter each time would be safer in case it clogs.

Looks great! This is the exact filter I use on my Accord. Guess I can rest easy using it for two 5K OCI's.

Yes you can- I had a 2013 Accord Sport and the filter didn't even get a workout at 10K

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Looks great! This is the exact filter I use on my Accord. Guess I can rest easy using it for two 5K OCI's.

Looks rock solid for the mileage. Can't wait til' mine has 20k so I can remove and cut it open
smile.gif

Thanks for the cut and pics.
thumbsup2.gif

The one I just took off my truck was on it for 26 months.
Hoping it looks as good as this one.

Thanks, I'd like to see it too.

Originally Posted By: car51
Looks rock solid for the mileage. Can't wait til' mine has 20k so I can remove and cut it open
smile.gif

You're welcome.
I have another that I will do soon near 150 hrs on a zero turn with Amsoil Signature.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Thanks for the cut and pics.
thumbsup2.gif

The one I just took off my truck was on it for 26 months.
Hoping it looks as good as this one.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

My filter of choice on my Accord too.

Isn't this filter known to be an industry restriction leader? Why increasingly restrict it, all the way out to 24K?

I would prefer more flow from lets-say 16K out-to 24K? So I would have changed this filter-out at 16K.
I also would never run conventional oil for 8K, really don't care what the used oil analysis geeks say about this.

Just my opinion here. I'm partial to my view, mainly because I'm first and last owner of all my vehicles, dating back to the late 70s. I suppose people that trade or sell their vehicles, really don;t care what happens inrepeated 24K filter OCIs. They have that right to pass on dirty engines to someone else.

I'd worry more about Fram TG or M1 or other high efficiency surface media if I was in the business of running past nominal OEM recommendations ... Ultra traps inside of the filter matrix too ...
None of them worry me since I'm conservative - just pointed out they work a bit different ...

I love Ultras. I don't think there is a better filter for the money on the market. But 25k, 30k... that seems like pushing it. If they were meant to go that long, wouldn't Fram have "Guaranteed 25,000 Mile Protection!" printed on the side of the packaging instead of 15,000?

Moreso, how can you tell if the filter is still doing its job efficiently at that point? I would think a UOA would be about the only indicator you could get.

"Raise an eyebrow"...that's a scientific term based on measurements, right?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Isn't this filter known to be an industry restriction leader? Why increasingly restrict it, all the way out to 24K?

How did you come to that conclusion?

Read from this post forward about Fram Ultra flow restriction.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3114348/Re:_Fram_Ultra_PICS_&_#Post3114348

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back