FRAM Ultra XG11665 [10K Miles]

It may be on the larger OD filters there is enough potting material to securely hold the end caps. ...
But the 10358 is the smallest cartridge to be found at Walmart. (In the case of the Chinese TG10358, literally the smallest oil filter box, but they use a needlessly large box for the US-made Ultra version.)

A couple of years ago, there was at least one complaint here of the Ultra 10358 end caps coming off easily. I thought they'd fixed that issue, and the one of end-cap ID being too small. I see they did mostly correct the problem of extremely uneven pleat spacing on that filter.

But the 10358 is the smallest cartridge to be found at Walmart. (In the case of the Chinese TG10358, literally the smallest oil filter box, but they use a needlessly large box for the US-made Ultra version.)

A couple of years ago, there was at least one complaint here of the Ultra 10358 end caps coming off easily. I thought they'd fixed that issue, and the one of end-cap ID being too small. I see they did mostly correct the problem of extremely uneven pleat spacing on that filter.
XG10358 = 2.39" OD
XG11665 = 1.99" OD

Maybe the cutoff for using metal backing is 2.00" OD? Not sure...

I don’t know who took the picture in the photo but the filter has a raised lip on the end caps? The chances are zero that Fram accidentally developed a plastic mesh backing just like the Mann filters and decided to have it made in Korea where MH also makes an identical white media plastic mesh filter. They may specify a few things but my guess is Fram buys it, the media or the whole thing, from Mann. The only part interesting to me is they still claim USA Ultra efficiency numbers on a different media.
Take some time to look at both filters, as I posted there are a number of differences that point to M+H not making them. We can guess all day, but without facts either way, it remains exactly that--a guess.

If M+H is making them and they are EXACTLY the same, then why does FRAM have a 20K mileage interval and Purolator only has a 15K? My "guess" is they are not the same.

Even if they did contract out to M&H, which I doubt, Fram still has proprietary media in the ultra. I'm 99%+ sure Jay said that the Ultra's media was a major leap ahead of the competition and to that point, nobody could duplicate its combination of flow and filtering efficiency. I've got no time to dig up the thread. Besides that, if it were just a rebranded M&H, you'd see Purolator making exactly the same claims.

Also, remember that you can have two entirely separate production facilities, owned and operated by two different companies, that purchase SOME of the same components from the same suppliers. Even a process, such as the bonding of the polymer backing or the bonding to the end caps, can be the same, but the media can still be proprietary. This stuff happens all the time in manufacuring. But the proprietary parts remain different. The other side is that there may be some parts that have no patent and just work the best, so why re-invent the wheel.

This is just manufacturing efficiency 101.

Last edited:
It may even be Purolator and Mann Germany buy the mesh backed white media
from Korea and use it in their filters. The chances are zero Fram accidentally makes a media looking like the Boss media. One thing for sure is the media in USA Ultra is completely different. And they make cartridge filters out of the USA type. Not important, any of it, just a time waste instead of doing chores.

The chances are zero Fram accidentally makes a media looking like the Boss media.

I think the point is they are not the same. They do not even look the same. The Boss media is thicker with more rounded pleats which tells me either the mesh backing is thicker or the media is.

2utaIf.jpg

Guys, ask Kevin @OIL_UDDER about the twist. He designed the engine. Says the Chubby Checker is 100% normal and causes no issue.

Btw, I've never torn apart pleats held together more strongly than those polymer or nylon backed pleats on this very filter. None.

That filter's limitation will only be the crud capacity. Should go 20k in that engine with no sweat.

Missed most of the thread because I was on the road but yes that is very normal. Tested probably 200-400 engines when I was at FCA on the Pentastar team with a full teardown review and performance/data charts. No issues at all with this on any of the filters we tested. They would look way worse actually after a deep thermal shock test. Again, zero problems, just ugly. Keep in mind they will not look like that under pressure and when you remove the cap it give them a good torque.

Keep in mind they will not look like that under pressure and when you remove the cap it give them a good torque.
I had a question on this. Unless I am looking at it wrong, it appears the twist is in the direction of tightening the filter cap (not loosening). I have tried every trick to prevent the twist and though it does not cause any issues, what are your thoughts towards "twist prevention"?

Does not take long to distort (same motor/vehicle)
This is the factory filter with just 500 miles and the OP recommended Fram XG in use now

2D14ED5B-09CF-4EA9-A8E0-14ABC15B6A9A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
Back