Fram TG3614 cut open, ~50 hours, Deere STX38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last weekend I did a lot of work on the "old enough to drink" John Deere STX38 lawn tractor. I got around to taking pictures of the cut open filter only this morning. Filter was in service for one year, which is less than 40 hours of operation. Oil was most likely Delo 400 synthetic 5W-40, engine is a Kohler Command CV-12.5.

I really don't care for the paper end caps on the Fram TG series filters...but based on this one and several others I've cut apart, they hold up just fine without any issues. Some of the pleats are kind of irregularly spaced, but remain flexible and have no tears. I used to be a Purolator fan-boy, but after the whole Tearolator thing and finding two Purolators with tears on my own equipment and vehicles, I'm back to using Fram. The ADBV fell on the floor and rolled under the workbench, so I don't have a photo of it. It was orange in color (silicone?) and was nice and supple.

Again, like the OEM Toyota filter I just posted, no drama here.

Another TG3614 went on the tractor and it was refilled with Delo 400 synthetic 5W-40.

Its interesting how the TG3614 has more uneven pleats than its cheaper sibling the PH3614. Otherwise looks like it held up well even with the wide gaps.

Nice pictures-thanks. I bought this same model # but the XG version for my new car.
Waiting to put it on. These Frams are impressive.

Honestly it looks like a junky low quality filter. I would never use this filter when so many better filters can be had. Cut open a Wix, Baldwin, Mahle etc. and they all look better in every way.

Love my STX38! Nothing fancy but it runs strong with what I'm sure is a crazy amount of hours on the Kohler engine and the best quality cut of any rider i have personally used. I've always used a Motorcraft or Fram Orange can on mine.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Love my STX38! Nothing fancy but it runs strong with what I'm sure is a crazy amount of hours on the Kohler engine and the best quality cut of any rider i have personally used. I've always used a Motorcraft or Fram Orange can on mine.

Love mine too. The hood cracked into a million pieces about 8 years ago, so I just run without it. Looks totally redneck, but runs and works great!

What Motorcraft filter do you use on yours?

thanks,
ben

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
How old was this filter?

I haven't seen a metal crimp over the seam in a while.

I probably bought it at Walmart in the Summer of 2015...so it was at least a year old, maybe a year and half old? I don't recall seeing a date code on it and its now in the trash can...

thanks,
ben

Originally Posted By: kd5byb
Originally Posted By: cb_13

Love mine too. The hood cracked into a million pieces about 8 years ago, so I just run without it. Looks totally redneck, but runs and works great!

What Motorcraft filter do you use on yours?

thanks,
ben

The FL 793. An FL910 fits as well but didn't figure a mower needed an anti drainback valve.

Does this engine have a fully pressurized oiling system, or does it just have a slinger system and just pump through a filter and drop back down into the sump?

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Honestly it looks like a junky low quality filter. I would never use this filter when so many better filters can be had. Cut open a Wix, Baldwin, Mahle etc. and they all look better in every way.

I agree with you. While I'm sure those filters "do the job" there are so many better built filters for the money.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
With all of the automation available today, why can't Fram put evenly spaced pleats into an oil filter can?

At least Fram's media doesn't tear if the pleats are a bit spaced out.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
With all of the automation available today, why can't Fram put evenly spaced pleats into an oil filter can?

That could also be asked of other filter manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back