Fram Racing HP17 Cut open w/pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a couple of these mainly because I had never seen one before ... the HP17 is the 20x1.5 mm thread Honda / Nissan / Subaru etc. application. They were $ 10 CDN , which is about $ 4.00 less than a Fram Ultra 7317.

These filters are advertised as HIGH FLOW / HEAVY DUTY, and come with a Subaru friendly 22 psi by-pass. This model does not have the screened by-pass valve advertised for other models. Efficiency is listed as 94% @ 20 mu.

This is the first Fram I have seen with a louvered core. Louvers look ok, but if you hold them up under a light ( have to gut the filter to do it ... ) , they look good. Seems to be WAY MORE louvers than there are holes in a comparable Fram Ultra.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks decent, but surprised it doesn't have a sealing surface on the end cap for the leaf spring/bypass valve assembly like the Ultra has - or does it and it's not shown in the photos? Louvers look good. Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
... surprised it doesn't have a sealing surface on the end cap for the leaf spring/bypass valve assembly like the Ultra has - or does it and it's not shown in the photos? Louvers look good. Thanks for the C&P.

Nope. Metal on metal, and not a real tight fit. By-pass spring is STIFF. Can seems thicker as well.

Is this filter actually made by Fram ? The baseplate and louvered core are unlike any other Fram's I have seen in this size, 6607 / 7317.

A Fram with a louvered centertube...Oh the humanity! Are louvered center tubes in the future for other Frams?
35.gif

The bypass and flat compression spring combo and endcap interface look very similar to some Champ Labs filter anecdotes posted here. If the metal surfaces milling and flat compression spring pressure good, should be fine.

Thanks for c&p.

I have thought about using one of these instead of a Subaru OEM Fram in a blue can and aside from the heavy duty construction that you certainly pay extra for, the only functional advantage you gain is the silicon ADBV.

I have gone round and round thinking about Napa Gold/Wix and Fram Ultra as alternatives to the OEM blue can be it about bypass, flow rate, delta-p, blah blah blah and have decided to just use the Fram Ultra XG7317 or the TG7317 and be done with it.

But those Napa sales and cheap Premium Guards on Rock Auto... I'll be doing this all again soon enough I'm sure
45.gif

Looking further the base/tapping plate design also looks very much like a Champ Labs made filter. Fram 7317 series uses the protruding thread boss design. This one looks very much like the Champ Labs 6607 baseplate, can find it on the current Super Tech. Combine with louvers and bypass endcap design I'm now wondering if Fram subbing these out to Champ Labs? Is there some type of collaboration for the HP filter? Or is this just a Canada thing? hmmmm As Artie might say here...…

[Linked Image from pushpull.files.wordpress.com]

Thanks for the cut and post

I've always wondered about the insides of a Fram Racing

Thank you !!ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back