Fram PH2 ExtraGuard Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter is off my 2000 Ford Excursion with 202,850 miles. The oil has a total of 40,000 miles with 15000 miles on this Fram filter and running a MotorGuard bypass filter. Some debris on the bottom and is non metallic, most likely carbon. Pleats are in great shape and have a very small amount of carbon and a few specs of metal. Looks like I'll go 30,000 miles on the next filter.:)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IMG_7657.JPG

Looks like it caught a bunch of stuff. What filter and oil went back in and on. Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:
The replacement filter is a Wix 51372 and I added a quart of Quaker State 5W20 dino. There was no oil change, just the filter. Oil has a total of 40,000 miles on it with bypass filter changes every 4000 miles and a quart of top up oil added.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be a dead man if my wife caught me with dirty oil and filters up on the kitchen counter!
09.gif
J/k, if it's a workbench, it's a nice one!

Filter looks good for the mileage. Nothing wrong with Fram EG filters though I tend to shy away from them for extended drains. Is QS 5w20 the original fill? Have you ever had a UOA performed on any of these extended drains? It would be nice to see a UOA on the oil after all those miles.

Lol, my wife is away for a few days.:) The Fram held up better than the previous Wix I changed with 10,000 miles on that filter. The original fill was from the previous owner who claimed it was Mobil 1 5W20. Because it was synthetic he ran 20,000 miles oil change intervals and the fill I got had 15,000 miles on it. At that time it had no bypass, so I changed the filter and added the bypass but did not change the oil. I took an oil sample and sent it to the lab and confirmed one that it wasn't mobil 1 and two that the engine was in bad shape. He was using a quick lube place and they were using cheap dyno , so the engine was badly sludged. 25000 miles later the engine is finally clean and I can now get up to 5000 miles on my bypass before I change it. When I first started the bypass would plug in 500 miles. I take regular oil samples to check the health of the oil and am very happy with the results. Most of the debris in the filter is carbon still washing off the engine, I expect that to diminish as time passes. Now that the engine is clean I can safely due annual oil samples and scheduled bypass filter changes every 4000-5000 miles. I took an oil sample again on this filter change and will post when I get the results. Here was the last sample I took.:) I initially used Mobil 1, but have since gone to conventional oils, Pennzoil and now Quaker State
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
I'd be a dead man if my wife caught me with dirty oil and filters up on the kitchen counter!
09.gif
J/k, if it's a workbench, it's a nice one!

That IS a very nice workbench! Yeah, agreed...

Has anybody else noticed that for some time now, that even filters run for extended periods, and ANY make, seem to be ok. I can't remember when I last saw any brand with a defect. So, does that mean that filters are better now than they were a while back, and one brand is pretty much as good as another? I use mostly Fram Ultras, but I am sure it is overkill, as I change oil twice a year due to very short trips, and change the filter every other time, with about 8000 miles on it. Of course on my mustang and ranchero, I go 2 years minimum on the filters, as they only get 1 to 2 thousand per year. And it is longer drives, and warm weather.

Originally Posted by old1
Has anybody else noticed that for some time now, that even filters run for extended periods, and ANY make, seem to be ok.

Modern EFI engines are a LOT easier on oil and filters than their old carbureted ancestors were.

I need to cut open my 50,000 mile Tough Guard, but I've just been so darn busy lately (and I can't take it in to work, LOL! ) - but I'm sure it is fine inside

Originally Posted by A310
This filter is off my 2000 Ford Excursion with 202,850 miles. The oil has a total of 40,000 miles with 15000 miles on this Fram filter and running a MotorGuard bypass filter.

Your UOA particle count isn't too good, especially since you have a bypass filter setup. One reason may be because you're over extending the full flow filter. Your PC is in the range where a filter that's rated at 50% @ 20u would typically show up. Could be the bad PC is also because this engine sounds like it's still pretty dirty inside. Think I'd be changing filters more often than you're doing to see if that helps the PC clean up more.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by old1
Has anybody else noticed that for some time now, that even filters run for extended periods, and ANY make, seem to be ok.

Modern EFI engines are a LOT easier on oil and filters than their old carbureted ancestors were. ...
I normally ran basic filters about 18k miles (3 oil changes) on my carbureted '81 Mazda. Those filters generally "seemed to be OK" inside, too.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by A310
This filter is off my 2000 Ford Excursion with 202,850 miles. The oil has a total of 40,000 miles with 15000 miles on this Fram filter and running a MotorGuard bypass filter.

Your UOA particle count isn't too good, especially since you have a bypass filter setup. One reason may be because you're over extending the full flow filter. Your PC is in the range where a filter that's rated at 50% @ 20u would typically show up. Could be the bad PC is also because this engine sounds like it's still pretty dirty inside. Think I'd be changing filters more often than you're doing to see if that helps the PC clean up more.

Changing the partial flow often and the full flow (cheap one too) at 30 (3x OEM rating).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Why would anyone want to run a filter for 30k miles?

A $6 dollar filter ...³ WHY is right

40,000 on "same" oil. may i ask why you are doing this? is it just to see how long it will go? what is you goal with this experiment ? what brand bypass filter are you using? why not use PUP and a Syn media oil filter for improved filtration over the long OCI?

so many questions. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back