Fram extra guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's be honest, can the extra guard be pushed past 10k miles? I know the mileage rating usually is just for warranty purposes. I'd be using them on clean engines only run on full synthetic from their first oil change.

Let's be honest, are you contemplating actually doing this or are you just posting a completely hypothetical question for discussion purposes?

Clogging of the media isn't the only concern for a long OCI.

Fram says it's good for "OE recommended intervals". You can be sure that they looked at all intervals spec'd from all, regular manufacturers (GM, Honda, etc but probably not the less common ones), tested it, and are confident it will work fine. Then they build a safety factor in as well.

Are you suggesting that Fram is lying or giving misleading info ?

On a Fit or Corolla, with 0W20 and a CLEAN, non-slugged engine, I would say yes-but I would run one for a factory length OCI, cut it open (or send it to a member here who can), and see what it catches & what condition it's in. I run Ultras for 20K-but I didn't run the FIRST one that far!

Depending on the engine size and oil pressure. I would not!

Last edited:
Let me be honest, I won't run an Extra Guard on my ZTR. If you want to go 10,000 miles, at least pick the Tough Guard.

Not a hypothetical question here, seems like most Honda minders end around 12000 miles. Would that be pushing the extra guard?

Originally Posted by MParr
Let me be honest, I won't run an Extra Guard on my ZTR. If you want to go 10,000 miles, at least pick the Tough Guard.

Well, I have a tough guard on my Camry that is being repaired and it has 26k on it. Yes I do have guts
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by Bettez88
Not a hypothetical question here, seems like most Honda minders end around 12000 miles. Would that be pushing the extra guard?
Not likely, assuming a clean engine and non-adverse conditions. What are you imagining might happen?

Honda knows the longest interval that their system will indicate (or they'll override it in software to make it drop to "0" quicker) and they're comfortable with that number. They don't require any special oil filters either. In fact, their minder is designed to specify changing only the oil (leaving the filter in place), an Ax service, or changing the oil and filter, a Bx service.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Honda knows the longest interval that their system will indicate (or they'll override it in software to make it drop to "0" quicker) and they're comfortable with that number. They don't require any special oil filters either. In fact, their minder is designed to specify changing only the oil (leaving the filter in place), an Ax service, or changing the oil and filter, a Bx service.

Correct, so there's no reason I couldn't use an extra guard on a Honda running the minder then

Let's be honest, can the extra guard be pushed past 10k miles? I know the mileage rating usually is just for warranty purposes. I'd be using them on clean engines only run on full synthetic from their first oil change.

This is a very good Q?
I just recently received an EG-3600 oil filter along with some 5W30 Signature Series Amsoil. I will be using the 3600 with the Amsoil to AT LEAST 10K miles and am wondering can the 3600 go that distance.

I'll use Fram in my zero turn and push mower. They're 1/3 the price of a dealer filter.

Originally Posted by D1dad

I'll use Fram in my zero turn and push mower. They're 1/3 the price of a dealer filter.

Me too...
But what kind of push mower has an oilfilter?

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Originally Posted by D1dad

Me too...
But what kind of push mower has an oilfilter?

Some John Deere push mowers had oil filters up until about 10 years ago. No idea about today though.

Got 8k on a 3614 in my Tacoma right now, ran the last one up to 10k also with no issues.

I saw a new Extra Guard box and it said up to 10k or manufacturer's recommendation. I think they were just under 4 bucks at Walmart for the filter for my Jeep 3.8. The Tough Guard was just under $7. That's not a huge difference, although I'd imagine the EG would be fine. The XG was just under $10.

I run the XG for two 6k OCI's, so that works out to be cheaper than the TG. I just yesterday put Rotella Gas Truck 5w30 in it, draining out the Valvoline Modern Engine. (Both were 5w20).

Not all Fram applications are the same price. My two Hyunkias call for Fram 9688 and they are $6 for the Extra Guard, $9 for the Toughguard and $11 for the Ultra.
Walmart.com

Last edited:
I used to have a 2009 Honda Odyssey and enjoyed changing the oil myself. Back then I didn't know about BITOG website and hadn't been exposed to the Orange can of death talk so that's what I used with conventional oil usually Mobil Super or VWB for the full maintenance schedule typically 9 to 10k miles. I made it to about 120,000 miles before a small leak started. I blame conventional oil and the long runs with the VCM motor but I didn't know any better at the time. When I traded it with about 140,000 miles it ran fine with that scary fram extraguard still on it other than the few drips of now Valvoline Maxlife hitting the floor at a rate of about two drops a night. I'm partial to all the OCD about Fram filters now but I still think back to that example and think they couldn't have been that bad. Oh ya and my 2008 Nissan Altima 7,500 miles same cheapest oil I could find at Walmart that was name brand with the ol Fram Orange Can. Sold it with 165,000 miles no issues and no leaks. Now I have a 2018 Honda Odyssey and I'm about to change the Honda OEM filter after a double run. 1st run was about 6,500 miles and this second at 30% left with 5,300 miles. Looks like Honda shortened the OCI calculation on this newer model. Oh and they upped the sump size a tad. I guess now that I think of it I did just run a Fram Orange Can for two intervals since the OEM filter is a simple Fram (ao2) or whatever.

Last edited:
That Extra Guard caused your leak! Come to think of it, there's an older Mobil 1 filter on the F-450 7.3 right now, and it's up to a PUDDLE! Mobil owes me a new engine!
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back