Fram extra guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have to question if a filter can handle your use - you need to just choose a filter that is absolutely known that can do it. Skip the low level orange can and go with the Fram Ultra, Mobil 1, STP XL, Wix XP etc....known good long life filters.

Originally Posted by buddylpal
Originally Posted by tundraotto
Originally Posted by D1dad
Originally Posted by MParr
Let me be honest, I won't run an Extra Guard on my ZTR. If you want to go 10,000 miles, at least pick the Tough Guard.

I'll use Fram in my zero turn and push mower. They're 1/3 the price of a dealer filter.

Me too...
But what kind of push mower has an oilfilter?

Some John Deere push mowers had oil filters up until about 10 years ago. No idea about today though.

Absolutely! My old silver deck John Deere 14SB had the block off plate, but I could have ordered the filter setup for it. I think it came standard on the 14SC then later green deck JX75. They came with a full pressure lubed Kawasaki commercial duty engine on them. It mowed great and started on the first pull or two every time, but my heart bleeds Lawn Boy green! Not my pic, but here's the setup.

[Linked Image]

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Not all Fram applications are the same price. My two Hyunkias call for Fram 9688 and they are $6 for the Extra Guard, $9 for the Toughguard and $11 for the Ultra.
Walmart.com

If you're lucky enough to have a Rural King near you, the Fram Ultras go for $7.99 there.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Not all Fram applications are the same price. My two Hyunkias call for Fram 9688 and they are $6 for the Extra Guard, $9 for the Toughguard and $11 for the Ultra.
Walmart.com

If you're lucky enough to have a Rural King near you, the Fram Ultras go for $7.99 there.

L8R,
Matt

I'll bet the Utra 9688 isn't 7.99 there.

Originally Posted by Bettez88
Let's be honest, can the extra guard be pushed past 10k miles? I know the mileage rating usually is just for warranty purposes. I'd be using them on clean engines only run on full synthetic from their first oil change.

In a Honda Fit and a Corolla ya its capable. The two cars in your sig are not likely putting out all kinds of crud. Now an older engine that got neglected you might want to consider something else but even then after you got back on the regular maintenance schedule with a quality oil I would think going back to the extra guard would be just fine for 10k. Remember Honda specs every other oil change for filter replacements and they are basically an extra guard. So they say no issue going 12,000+ miles on the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back