Fram Extra Guard now rated to 10k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some OLMs allow 10K OCIs before getting down to 0% (the Transit 250 in my sig is an example, it's been averaging 9500)-but, it's up to you if you want to go that far. I still think the Ultra, when bought on eBay in a 6 pack, is/can be a better deal when used for multiple OCIs, I've bought them for as low as $4 each.

No. I've always been doing 5K just out of habit at the local tire place, but decided, after I've had the car for 110,000 miles, to start doing my own. I had just changed the oil at 5K when I started thinking about all this. The computer said it was at 40% at 5K, so I figure I should be able to go longer if that maintenance indicator in the car is worth paying attention to. So hoping I can reduce the frequency of oil changes to something longer than 5K. Right or wrong, and crucify me if people must, but I put on a FRAM Ultra Synthetic filter and for oil I used Walmart Super Tech Full Synthetic oil. Figured I could splurge a little on synthetic and a presumably better filter if I started doing my own oil changes and cut down on the frequency. But at the moment I do have that Extra Guard filter, and I thought that was good to 5K, so that might not be good enough if I want to go longer. If it's really "good" for 10K, maybe I keep that and use it next time, TMI perhaps, but laying at all out there for clarification.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMBoy
Originally Posted by Linctex
I wouldn't feel comfortable running and Extra Guard for 10k even with the silicone upgrade... but then again we have Supertechs rated for 10k miles also.

Your feelings can't overrule the facts

Correct. Fact is there are better filters to use than the Fram for the money....

Still waiting for that list of better filters for the money.

I think the EG looks cheaply made inside. Looking at the box it says average efficiency, so the filter you get may or may not achieve the average, or it could be better. It's not a precise 95%@20 every time. The worst filter pleats ever shown on here were from an EG. For a little more the Ultra is a whole lot better construction. At two filter changes per year it's about 90 cents per month more to use an Ultra. I can't see the penny saving. I would imagine driving a more economical car would save much more.

Originally Posted by DaleRider
Originally Posted by Linctex
I wouldn't feel comfortable running and Extra Guard for 10k even with the silicone upgrade... but then again we have Supertechs rated for 10k miles also.

Your feelings can't overrule the facts

Correct. Fact is there are better filters to use than the Fram for the money....

Still waiting for that list of better filters for the money.

It was the motorcraft best for the moneys under $4 with silicone ADBV . Until I cut one open and see the hole every one talking about .

I have vertical filters on the 5.3Ls and don't worry about the ADBV's.
But around 6 filters so far … and my $4 PF63's are holding the U tube every time … it drains a quart and that little filter might hold one 3rd.

D03387F6-3007-42E9-B7AE-9BE3DA9A4835.jpeg

Originally Posted by Greg123
I just got one from Walmart with the sure-grip feature, but it doesn't have the new packaging claiming up to 10K protection, so I am wondering if I have the filter that can go longer, or if mine is an older version and not designed to go 10K. Any idea about that?

Does your EG have the orange, silicon ADBV? If so, its the improved version good for 10k.

Originally Posted by Bebop367
Are the new boxes sealed?

No, only the synthetic ones are.

I think all filters should be sealed at the factory to prevent something from getting inside the filter.
I may be wrong, but something getting inside the center tube of a filter is going straight to engine.
Toyota is the only one I have seen that seals the filter.
Retired too much time to think about things that could happen......

Originally Posted by Bebop367
I think all filters should be sealed at the factory to prevent something from getting inside the filter.
I may be wrong, but something getting inside the center tube of a filter is going straight to engine.
Toyota is the only one I have seen that seals the filter.
Retired too much time to think about things that could happen......

Many filters come plastic sealed. Including Mahle, Original Performance, and master pack filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back