Fram Extra Guard now rated to 10k miles

Messages
15,012
Location
Canada
Thread starter
At my work (Canadian Tire), seeing new Fram ExtraGuard (orange can) boxes that say they are rated to 10k miles, or 16k km. They sit right beside Fram ToughGuard filters that say the same thing. Is the ToughGuard being squeezed out, and now we will just have ExtraGuard and the Extended Guard (synthetic) filters? Anyone else seen this?
 

4WD

Messages
13,505
Location
Texas
Not sure if that's the plan, could be … Today, when I went to get a little 3614 for the mower … the delta between TG and XG was smaller than the delta between TG and Fram Ocan … Got an XG and will leave it on a full year
 
Messages
6,516
Location
Wet side WA
Originally Posted by addyguy
At my work (Canadian Tire), seeing new Fram ExtraGuard (orange can) boxes that say they are rated to 10k miles, or 16k km. They sit right beside Fram ToughGuard filters that say the same thing. Is the ToughGuard being squeezed out, and now we will just have ExtraGuard and the Extended Guard (synthetic) filters? Anyone else seen this?
It will be when EG gets rated a 99% at 20 microns.
 
Messages
8,309
Location
Texas
I wouldn't feel comfortable running and Extra Guard for 10k even with the silicone upgrade... but then again we have Supertechs rated for 10k miles also.
 
Messages
10,000
Location
Waco, TX
Originally Posted by GMBoy
I wouldn't feel comfortable running and Extra Guard for 10k even with the silicone upgrade... but then again we have Supertechs rated for 10k miles also.
Your feelings can't overrule the facts
 
Messages
2,526
Location
wv
IMHO its all about marketing. Economy/Regular/Premium EG/TG/XG 87/89/93 Octane Conventional/Semi Syn/Full Syn Almost every product on every shelf has a generic vs mid grade vs premium.
 
Messages
8,309
Location
Texas
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by GMBoy
I wouldn't feel comfortable running and Extra Guard for 10k even with the silicone upgrade... but then again we have Supertechs rated for 10k miles also.
Your feelings can't overrule the facts
Correct. Fact is there are better filters to use than the Fram for the money....
 
Last edited:
Messages
507
Location
Eastern Wa.
Originally Posted by MrQuackers
95% @20 microns, silicone ADBV for $3.88 every day price at Walmart. What are these better filters for the money?
It's a hard pill to swallow for some people but if you look at the facts (efficiency, silicone ADBV, and price) fram extra guard is a great value.
 
Messages
12,238
Location
Indiana
Originally Posted by Corollaman
Originally Posted by MrQuackers
95% @20 microns, silicone ADBV for $3.88 every day price at Walmart. What are these better filters for the money?
It's a hard pill to swallow for some people but if you look at the facts (efficiency, silicone ADBV, and price) fram extra guard is a great value.
There isn't one.. Break it down by price and features and it's a win win that nothing else beats. Yes NAPA has their sales. Still more money and arguably worse efficiency. WM also has the ST for $1 less, but I don't think that's the direction people trying to make the point want to go. Lol.
 
Messages
12
Location
Tulsa
I just got one from Walmart with the sure-grip feature, but it doesn't have the new packaging claiming up to 10K protection, so I am wondering if I have the filter that can go longer, or if mine is an older version and not designed to go 10K. Any idea about that?
 
Messages
6,516
Location
Wet side WA
Originally Posted by Greg123
I just got one from Walmart with the sure-grip feature, but it doesn't have the new packaging claiming up to 10K protection, so I am wondering if I have the filter that can go longer, or if mine is an older version and not designed to go 10K. Any idea about that?
I'd say you got new old stock. But seriously do you run 10K OCI's?
 
Top