FRAM airhogs vs. K&N vs..

Status
Not open for further replies.
mad.gif
Has ANY fair-minded study, apart from the company MAKING these "High-flow", "More-power" (
thumbsdown.gif
) "Better-filtering" (
rolleyes.gif
) air filters PROVED they do what they claim>
confused.gif

Everything factual I've seen, show they make ZERO horsepower, filter less than paper, and cost a pantload more.

thumbsdown.gif

Thing with a high flow filter is they flow more consistently over time, compared to a paper filter that, when first installed, may be of barely adequate CFM rating for your engine's demands, but as it gets loaded with dirt, will flow considerably less. A cotton gauze filter actually uses the dirt as part of its filtering ability without sacrificing flow.

Many cars, like my own, have horribly restrictive OEM airboxes, and ridiculously small paper elements, that may be good when new, but performance degrades quickly when they become dirty.

If your particular vehicle's airbox/filter has sufficient flow for your engine's (or your foot's) demands, then you'll gain nothing by changing it. However, if you're like me, and optimum rather than adequate performance is what you're after, then you should possibly explore other options.

EDIT: As far as them making 0 HP, our 1/4 mile numbers don't lie...Nearly every ClubGP member that has installed some sort of aftermarket intake (or even just gutted the OEM box and installed a K&N drop-in filter) has picked up at least one tenth, sometimes more, consistently at the track. To prove this gain, the times were reduced equally when changed back to the stock airbox and (new) paper element.
Racer's rule of thumb: 0.1 sec = ~10 HP.

[ February 12, 2005, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: GT Mike ]

Agreed, there is one part in the intake on my Caprice and Roadmaster that just replacing it with a piece of pvc pipe is a dyno proven 9hp to the wheels and that is not the only restrictive part in the intake. That particular part is a resonator of some sort, factory setups have to try to control driveby noise in doing this they often make the intake tract very restrictive so there cewrtainly are gains to be had with aftermarket intake tracts the filter being a monor part of the gain for most vehicles the plumbing being more signifigant.
GT Mike if you see a Caprice or a Roadmaster wagon at WIR stop and say Hi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back