Found Castrol 5W30 A3 at Walmart

UPC 079191216958 if you want to search on Brickseek.com.
Cost $22.38 for a 5 quart bottle at the time of purchase.
Looking at the ash content, this is a full saps oil and has a higher non energy conserving HTHS 5W30.
It is a perfect oil for Many Euro vehicles and something to consider for older flat tappet engines.
Made in Austria. Meets older Euro requirements. Going in my wifes Audi.

castrol wwwww.JPG
castrol 5w30 a3 2.jpg
castrol wwwww.JPG

It is being introduced last two months. Nothing special.
I think this "edition" is being brought back because Castrol is pushing it heavily in their new epods. It is a shame because this oil is a fairly dated formula by today's standards.

Agree with that. SL does not play well in the current market.
SL is irrelevant for intended application. All those approvals that that Castrol has are FAR, FAR more stringent than anything API, including API SP.
Reason why it is SL is that Zinc levels in that Castrol are higher than what API limits for W30 oils in SM and after specifications. So, Zinc levels are in line with SL specification.
Again, API: totally irrelevant.

SL is irrelevant for intended application. All those approvals that that Castrol has are FAR, FAR more stringent than anything API, including API SP.
Reason why it is SL is that Zinc levels in that Castrol are higher than what API limits for W30 oils in SM and after specifications. So, Zinc levels are in line with SL specification.
Again, API: totally irrelevant.

Look at the post I quoted " Doubt it will be at Wally's in a year's time though. " And I agreed with it.
It's not about which approval is the more stringent, but whether I think It would be around for a while. And the reason is SL.

I know it's irrelevant for the Euro cars, but the Euro specs have jumped on the SN wagon, and soon enough on the SP (We are the US of A, aren't we?) There are plenty of newer specs in the market for them.

I see this particular oil as a great, cheap alternative for older Euros and/or those who want a stout, Zinc-loaded oil for their out-of-warranty US gassers. And that market is not growing.

Last edited:
Look at the post I quoted " Doubt it will be at Wally's in a year's time though. " And I agreed with it.
It's not about which approval is the more stringent, but whether I think It would be around for a while. And the reason is SL.

I know it's irrelevant for the Euro cars, but the Euro specs have jumped on the SN wagon, and soon enough on the SP (We are the US of A, aren't we?) There are plenty of newer specs in the market for them.

I see this particular oil as a great, cheap alternative for older Euros and/or those who want a stout, Zinc-loaded oil for their out-of-warranty US gassers. And that market is not growing.
No they did not. All high SAPS W30 oils are SL, and will stay SL.
W30 low SAPS oils are Sn (I think). But High SAPS like this Castrol, Castrol Edge 0W30, Pennzoil Platinum Euro LV 5W30, etc. are all SL.
SN are W40 oils. And again, it is irrelevant.
Again USA? What that has to do with this? Euro vehicle manufacturers are not going to change requirements bcs. one lobbying organization changed already mediocre, at best, specification. They are going to make approval specifications easier to meet, bcs. US of A? Geez.
Also, numerous European manufacturers still have new models with High-SAPS requirements.

A very popular oil in Australia

Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 Full Synthetic
It's rated API SL (high ZDDP, but passes SN tests), ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01 and VW 502/505.
Noack volatility below 10%, Zinc around 1000 ppm, HTHS = 3.6 cP and TBN is 10.2

It’s my high-SAPS go to 5W30.

Saw this oil today. I usually run M1 0w-40 in my 3.5L ecoboost. Wondering if this wouldn't be a better choice for the 2.0L and 3.5L ecoboost engines I have since they recommend 5w-30 from factory.

Which on of edge euro oils are "better"? Theres 5w-30, 5w-40 and 0w-40 at my walmart, in addition to Valvoline 5w-40 and Mobil 1 0w-40. Does edge 0w-40 still have the high PAO content?

Saw this oil today. I usually run M1 0w-40 in my 3.5L ecoboost. Wondering if this wouldn't be a better choice for the 2.0L and 3.5L ecoboost engines I have since they recommend 5w-30 from factory.

Which on of edge euro oils are "better"? Theres 5w-30, 5w-40 and 0w-40 at my walmart, in addition to Valvoline 5w-40 and Mobil 1 0w-40. Does edge 0w-40 still have the high PAO content?

I believe both 5W30 and 5W40 are mostly Grp III based, while 0W40 should have more PAO Grp IV.

To me the one to skip is the Grp III 5W40, as you are better going to a narrower viscosity spread Grp III 5W30 or to a PAO based 0W40.

Look for MB 229.5 as it requires the Naok volatility to be 10% or less. You should see that it’s only carried by the Edge 5W30 and the Edge 0W40 making these two the pick of the bunch.

I’m using Edge 5W30 A3/B4 myself right now.

Perhaps a good choice for OPE?
I’m running it in a Honda GCV160 for its yearly spill and fill. It’s as happy as a pig in mud.

I was debating standardizing the family fleet to ProDS or Magnatec 5W-30. I might use this if Walmart can maintain a steady supply of this. And with a problem child engine, lower NOACK might reduce oil burn.

My Walmart has had this since they redone the oil section still don’t have the selection they used too though.
They sell so much oil at my local WM that they have actually expanded the shelf space for oil by about double. Now they have it on end caps and on the other side of the isle between antifreeze and oil filters. It is even in the tool area sometimes, and over by the wax and brake cleaner. Sometimes they just leave the pallets in the middle of the main isle leading to the auto section, and let people open boxes themselves. No kidding. It is really a crapshoot for finding what you want, and sometimes they are just completely out of what you want. Same for filters, and for anti freeze. They never seem to run out of brake fluid for some reason.

They sell so much oil at my local WM that they have actually expanded the shelf space for oil by about double. Now they have it on end caps and on the other side of the isle between antifreeze and oil filters. It is even in the tool area sometimes, and over by the wax and brake cleaner. Sometimes they just leave the pallets in the middle of the main isle leading to the auto section, and let people open boxes themselves. No kidding. It is really a crapshoot for finding what you want, and sometimes they are just completely out of what you want. Same for filters, and for anti freeze. They never seem to run out of brake fluid for some reason.
Dang I need to come to your Walmart lol. Heck mine carries about 5 or 6 brands of oil, brake fluid and Marvel Mystery Oil and Seafoam and starting fluid and Cherry Bomb hand cleaner that’s about it and batteries and maybe a few more things. The one that’s closest to me has a little bit more but it’s the only semi rural Walmart the rest that don’t hardly carry anything are in the middle of the city and the managers of those stores told me the reason they stopped carrying so much is no one buys enough of it for them to keep all types of it in stock so for those particular locations only. Also the one closest to me is the only one that carries multiple types of ATF lol the others carry very few types I think maybe one.

Dang I need to come to your Walmart lol. Heck mine carries about 5 or 6 brands of oil, brake fluid and Marvel Mystery Oil and Seafoam and starting fluid and Cherry Bomb hand cleaner that’s about it and batteries and maybe a few more things. The one that’s closest to me has a little bit more but it’s the only semi rural Walmart the rest that don’t hardly carry anything are in the middle of the city and the managers of those stores told me the reason they stopped carrying so much is no one buys enough of it for them to keep all types of it in stock so for those particular locations only. Also the one closest to me is the only one that carries multiple types of ATF lol the others carry very few types I think maybe one.
"Competition" cannot even come close to WM prices. The selection is far better than NAPA, AutoZone and O'reilleys put together. It is truly a sight to behold.

Back