Forester Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I can't believe this is a thing, I've encountered a few this week. All impeding traffic with old ladies behind the wheel. 182 HP. Where's the sport other than the red tape?

[Linked Image from static.carsdn.co]

Subaru used to have an "XT" or "GT" version of almost every model they sold, that was turbocharged and available with a manual transmission. At some point within the last few years, seemingly coinciding with introducing the CVT, they got away from this.

Just about every "XT" was a great car!

Outback XT...man, I'd love to have one of those with a manual transmission! So sporty, fun to drive, and utilitarian at the same time!

Legacy GT...

Forester XT with the manual...the older ones looked good. Much better than the new ones.

Wasn't there an XT version of the Baja with turbo and manual also?

There is no sport in a new forester. Cosmetics only.

Like anything else. Wheels and stripe package.

I See no customers for this.

What happened to GM? NO GM F41 bargains anymore.

In the 80's I was trading in a Citation X-11 and the manager wouldn't give me extra $$ over a

regular Citation. He said it was a " fake sporty car - just a strip and decal package!"

Little did he know they were very accomplished track cars.

Eagle GT tires, lowered performance suspension, F-glass hood with cowl scoop, H.O. V6, close ratio 4 speed MT.

You could change lanes on the interstate as fast as you could yank the wheel at 90 MPH with complete stability.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

In the 80's I was trading in a Citation X-11 and the manager wouldn't give me extra $$ over a

regular Citation. He said it was a " fake sporty car - just a strip and decal package!"

A friend had the good (relative term) X-11 V6/MT in that metallic orange. I had the couple years newer fake one with the Iron Duke and MT. Those were actually good cars that were put together badly by Chevy.

Where is the sport in SUV? Sport Station wagons? I bet the little old ladies have a little bit of wisdom in what driving is for.
19.gif

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Looks like Subaru has taken a page from Toyota's book when it comes to "sport" models. And who can blame them when Toyota is becoming pretty much a deity.
Subaru simply want some of that blind following too.

Except the Camry has over 300hp and the new RAV4 Prime does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds...

I used to hate the old ladies slowing down traffic. Now I realize how many speeding tickets they saved me!

Originally Posted by Ws6
Looks like Subaru has taken a page from Toyota's book when it comes to "sport" models. And who can blame them when Toyota is becoming pretty much a deity.

Except the Camry has over 300hp and the new RAV4 Prime does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds...

Except they hang the sport badge and sporty looking trim on 4 cylinder models too.

And yet they can't keep them in stock.
I drove one. The CVT is programmed very aggressively. It is quite sporty. It handles better than my '18XT (urbo) with an added heavier stabilizer bar. I would jtrade my '18XT even up for it. Its that good. Its their new global platform. But yes it is not as quick as the XT.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Same as Camry Sport Edition.
You talking about the TRD? If so, you're wrong.

Originally Posted by 02SE
182 hp at the flywheel, and it's pictured blocking the road. At least it's truth in advertising...

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Ws6

I'm waiting for ANYBODY within a 20 mile radius where I drive to even accelerate at more than 1/4 throttle.

I dust everyone around me with a 1.4L "motorcycle engine" Jetta.

Mustangs, Volvo S60, WRX, Infiniti coupe - All at sleep behind the wheel.

People just slugging along talking on the phone or playing with their phone.

The New fwd Jetta GLI 2.0t stick is Faster AND Quicker than a then brand new 1967 Shelby GT500

I'm not saying the VW is a good car - just that its quick.

Originally Posted by Al

And yet they can't keep them in stock.
I drove one. The CVT is programmed very aggressively. It is quite sporty. It handles better than my '18XT (urbo) with an added heavier stabilizer bar. I would jtrade my '18XT even up for it. Its that good. Its their new global platform. But yes it is not as quick as the XT.

This

Depending on pricing, it could be a good deal. If you can buy the sport Forester for around 27K +TTL you're getting a fairly capable vehicle in the compact SUV class. If you want raw power look elsewhere. That's never been what Subaru hangs their hat on. Practicality and all weather stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back