Ford Fiesta,HIGH COPPER AGAIN.Motul 913D 5w30 20.000kms

Status
Not open for further replies.
First UOA here
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...380km-mobil-1-fuel-econ-0w30#Post4635334

The engine is original, no repairs, well maintained from new, driven by me only from day one, does not consume oil, performs flawlessly. Long journeys is the 95% of the engine total distance. First time ever that I tried 20.000kms oil change interval (which is what the user manual calls for with the 913B approved oil which is now obsolete,913D is the latest and improved one).
Would you worry about it?
The oil interval was 18 months.
[Linked Image]

Iron is on the high end of normal too.

Can I recommend you try a good quality A3/B4 oil? You should be able to get Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 very cheaply here in Europe.

I already have a good stash of the Motul 913D specific for the current and 3 more intervals after the current one. I followed the Ford spec from day one anyways...
Mind you, this is not the ti vct engine, it is the simpler FYJB engine designed by Yamaha, 100hp 1.6 liter dual cam engine.

Originally Posted by Panos
I already have a good stash of the Motul 913D specific for the current and 3 more intervals after the current one. I followed the Ford spec from day one anyways...
Mind you, this is not the ti vct engine, it is the simpler FYJB engine designed by Yamaha, 100hp 1.6 liter dual cam engine.

I used to have the same engine in a 2003 Ford Focus. Great little engines and quite frugal too.

Yes, they were ahead of their time (in 1995) for a European simple commuter engine. And very easy on oil as it seems. Probably wasted a big amount of useful oil changing it every 6500kms for the first 100.000kms even if it kept it squeaky clean (even now , every oil change gives me a transparent dipstick reading for the first 1000kms).I wonder if I should worry or not for a teardown on the future or this amount of copper is not alarming.

Ford is only interested in getting their engines past warranty and show lowest possible owners cost of ownership with the extended oil changes.
If it was my car, no more than 10,000 km oil changes.
1st hand experience running 1,000s of Ford engines in a very large fleet.

Originally Posted by Danno
Ford is only interested in getting their engines past warranty and show lowest possible owners cost of ownership with the extended oil changes.
If it was my car, no more than 10,000 km oil changes.
1st hand experience running 1,000s of Ford engines in a very large fleet.

Fleet work is really the job that allows you to see what actually works and doesn't.

Everyone should consider that this oil ran almost 20,000 miles. With that in mind are these numbers really bad?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Everyone should consider that this oil ran almost 20,000 miles. With that in mind are these numbers really bad?

Kilometers, so about 12,000 miles.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Metric miles

Originally Posted by Mainia
Who cares about the stash, do a run of Helix for a test.

I care for the cost I have spent, also the owner of the basement which has about 20 oil changes worth of oil stash for 3 different vehicles I own.I know of some owners of the same engine having triple the kilometers without engine repairs.I don't think it is the oil to blame, it is a robust formulation with specs that exceed the original ones and with no viscosity shear to worry about. The motul spec of cst value for this oil is 10.2
Spot on with the analysis result.

And yes, it is kilometers not miles, the actual distance is a little more because half of them are with 205/45/16 tires instead of the 195/50/15 registered in the ECU. About 20.500 actual kilometres.

I asked Blackstone what they would suggest in order to avoid catastrophic failure on my engine and take appropriate action after these results. Here is the answer they gave me today:

If the Fiesta is operating great, we suggest monitoring and not a teardown
of the engine. Copper at 19 ppm isn't at the level where it looks like a
failure. Sometimes metals can come up and resolve or stay elevated and
steady in an engine without causing problems, so maybe copper will
stabilize or come down in future samples. If metals rise significantly
again next time or you're hearing unusual noises or having operational
issues, then engine work might be considered. But if the Fiesta is running
great, we just suggest continued monitoring and shorter oil runs at these
levels, which was our reasoning for checking back in 10,000 km.

I will think of it if I will shorten the ocis or/and if I will get a future UOA. My current oil change happened only 3000kms ago so I have plenty of time to decide. Thanks for all your coments fellow BITOGers!

the stoners gave you 2 different flash points for the same fuel ratio
thats nuts

copper is from either bearings or a brass bushing/gear

Last edited:
The oil really kept it's viscosity well. I have an older 2000 Lexus LS 400 and use a similar oil-Motul 5w30 eco energy, which is a rare full saps-lower viscosity 10.1 but has relatively higher HTHS 3.4-although the eco energy on UK website had it at 3.2. The engine runs smooth and quiet on this oil-and does give slightly better full economy compared to thicker 5w30 like Redline that have used previously in vehicle. I like having more detergents in oil since LPSI is not a concern with this engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back