Ford F150 5.0 Factory Filter cut open 5300 miles

Looks a little ugly but held together.
IMG_1635.JPG

Cenex 5w20 Maxtron Synthetic and Wix Filters for the next 2 changes - I now have 13k on it. This filter has been sitting since June. Thought I would pull this one out of the bucket as I am hearing a slight ticking noise from the engine at idle.

Not pretty to look at. I remember when Ford's factory filter was a decent filter.

Cenex 5w20 Maxtron Synthetic and Wix Filters for the next 2 changes - I now have 13k on it. This filter has been sitting since June. Thought I would pull this one out of the bucket as I am hearing a slight ticking noise from the engine at idle.

Coyote tick (source unknown) not to be confused with Coyote knock (generally thought to be caused be rod side clearances). Neither appear to be harmful.

Surprisingly easy to get off with a band wrench! Actually the second time was harder with the filter I had hand tightened.
Factory filters are usually gorilla tight. This filter looks the same as the one I cut last month. I wasn't too impressed with it.

Coyote tick (source unknown) not to be confused with Coyote knock (generally thought to be caused be rod side clearances). Neither appear to be harmful.

Off topic ... IMO the Coyote tick is caused by excessive rod side clearance.

Well, the truck runs great anyway. The tick can be heard when started cold and when hot. At idle only and goes away when revved. Can't tell where it is, but slightly louder on passenger side. I am not worried about it until it gets louder or I am closer to the end of warranty.

Back