Ford Customer Satisfaction Program 23B08. Replacing 2.3L EcoBoost in some Bronco, Ranger, Explorers

03s

Ford replacing 2.3L EcoBoost engines in certain Rangers, Broncos and Explorers.

Auto evolution

On these build dates
Screenshot (124).png

Last edited:
Unfortunate, but typical of Ford the past few years
Call me when they own up to ALL the affected Ecoboost coolant intrusion engines, not just the '17-'19
I've been a semi armchair Ford fan for some time, but between mistake after mistake, and my local Ford dealer that could burn to the ground for all I care, they've kinda lost me
And the X-Plan pricing I'm entitled to isn't really the discount one would hope for 😒

Getting tired of some automakers....

For a longer term vehicle, one must wait a couple years and hang out on various forums to see all the issues that the 'new and improved' whatever product has collected by those that actually drive and use them. Then, its still a gamble when you buy new a couple years after the model is 1st delivered.

I just can't get myself to buy from the 3 domestics because of all the preventable issues that sometimes turns into a 'operating as intended' nightmare, or flip-a-coin good luck if you're past the warranty period.

But, I wouldn't mind a disposable 'lease' or 'company care' that is domestic.... for the reason that it won't be kept long enough to worry about most issues that turn up. This is sad way of thinking. I don't buy disposable vehicles or lease. This leaves out too many 'cool' cars that would work in the driveway but don't care for the ulcer that comes with it.

That is a pretty narrow range for production dates. FWIW we just did a 2.3 in a Bronco with just over 6K miles for engine noise. Ford had the tech replace all the timing set first and the noise was still present. Then they finally authorized a longblock when we did a teardown and found the thrust bearing sitting in the oil pan.

Unfortunate, but typical of Ford the past few years
Call me when they own up to ALL the affected Ecoboost coolant intrusion engines, not just the '17-'19
I've been a semi armchair Ford fan for some time, but between mistake after mistake, and my local Ford dealer that could burn to the ground for all I care, they've kinda lost me
And the X-Plan pricing I'm entitled to isn't really the discount one would hope for 😒
I agree 100%
Don't forget about the 2.0 Ecoboost cracked flywheels... I'm out for buying that brand, as well. And I'm in a coveted demographic.
I really liked the Focus RS for a new track car or even the AWD Fusion for a winter car but no way.

Last edited:
Lots of consumer guinea pigs out there for sure. Try reselling some of those time bombs. Some auto and truck companies just throw anything out there and after the warranty expires is tough luck Charlie.

Maybe ford can have a look at all the cam phaser issues in the 5.0 in the F150s from 2014 to at least 2019? Or maybe why they drink oil worse than a 20 year old Toyota?

I agree 100%
Don't forget about the 2.0 Ecoboost cracked flywheels... I'm out for buying that brand, as well. And I'm in a coveted demographic.
I really liked the Focus RS for a new track car or even the AWD Fusion for a winter car but no way.
With a couple of exceptions, every Ford dealer I have ever dealt with seems to make a concerted effort to totally p*ss me off. I considered a CPO Mach 1 but my prior experiences took it out of contention.

With a couple of exceptions, every Ford dealer I have ever dealt with seems to make a concerted effort to totally p*ss me off. I considered a CPO Mach 1 but my prior experiences took it out of contention.
Yeah, my local Ford dealer is so, so bad. The one I bought a car from like 5 years ago like an hours drive away is fantastic. I was looking at newer Explorers and there were a few reasons I didn't end up buying one but the local dealer being horrible was one of them.

Yeah, my local Ford dealer is so, so bad. The one I bought a car from like 5 years ago like an hours drive away is fantastic. I was looking at newer Explorers and there were a few reasons I didn't end up buying one but the local dealer being horrible was one of them.
One of my friends couldn't pick up his car at one of my local dealers after a warranty visit because they couldn't find who had the keys. I once emailed the parts department at another Ford store asking if they had a particular transmission oil in stock, I received a reply that they had 8 quarts on hand. I made a special trip to the dealer and the guy at the parts counter said that they were out of that oil. I mentioned the email and he tells me, "Ya shouda called, those email guys are always wrong." I think the Ford stores in my area have a strict policy of not hiring service staff with opposable thumbs. Then there was the Ford dealer in Indianapolis that advertised a Ford CPO Mustang GT; my wife and I made the two hour drive to look at it and the sales guy told me that it was $1500 extra to get the CPO warranty. Then they played hide the trade. Needless to say, even though I came from a "Ford Family," I'll likely never own another one.

One of my friends couldn't pick up his car at one of my local dealers after a warranty visit because they couldn't find who had the keys. I once emailed the parts department at another Ford store asking if they had a particular transmission oil in stock, I received a reply that they had 8 quarts on hand. I made a special trip to the dealer and the guy at the parts counter said that they were out of that oil. I mentioned the email and he tells me, "Ya shouda called, those email guys are always wrong." I think the Ford stores in my area have a strict policy of not hiring service staff with opposable thumbs. Then there was the Ford dealer in Indianapolis that advertised a Ford CPO Mustang GT; my wife and I made the two hour drive to look at it and the sales guy told me that it was $1500 extra to get the CPO warranty. Then they played hide the trade. Needless to say, even though I came from a "Ford Family," I'll likely never own another one.
I tell people I work with to not do something that ends up on a car forum for a bad reason. When people call to check stock on hand, I physically touch it before confirming, I've been doing this too long to trust the computer.

What is the problem then? What would you call it?

Race to the bottom in the quest for fuel efficiency over everything else while accepting sub par components from suppliers do to shortages. I wouldn't buy any car made from 2020-2023 from any manufacturer. If a turbo or some other engine defect doesn't get you, a CVT or dual clutch transmission will. Manufacturer doesn't matter, they all seem to have issues (even Toyota is using a CVT).

I'm inclined to think that the least bad products are anything without a turbo and with a regular automatic transmission, if you can find it (but all or almost all of these of those are going trucks and SUV's). Most cars seem to have CVT's except some Mazda's and some GM products (although the GM product might have a turbo, but those seem to be not to terribly bad). I'm thinking the GM with a 1.4 with a replacement metal thermostat housing, replacement metal valve cover with improved PVC system might be the best deals purchased used. I remember decades ago when turbos somehow didn't cause a problem, but they can't get it right now. Also, I'm inclined to think anything actually maintained and driven gently is going to last a lot longer than anything not, but I see no evidence of people driving gently on the roads.

Back