Ford 6R100 Pan w/drain plug

Originally Posted by Kira
Above dnewton3 said of the B&G drain plug kit: "I've installed a lot of these over the years. Never one drip of leak when installed properly. Works great."

That is great. I'm glad they work.

ME: Nylon washers freak me out. How do you know what torque to use as reviewers say it comes with NO INSTRUCTIONS?

I do realize it's not a high pressure application and that this installation bears some similarities to an oil drain plug job (no musclemen need apply)

Many said they used copper washers -plural, one on each side not just the one they give you WITHOUT SAYING WHICH SIDE IT GOES ON.
Do I have to option to use fiber washers and Permatex Ultra Black sealer?

Seriously, I'd love to adapt a drain plug to my trannie pan.

I'd hate to be a jerk wasting $11 for a half-baked retail item when a $34 pan from Dorman is waiting to be shipped to my door.

Then again, Ford says my transmission (5R55E) requires 30K filter servicing so maybe a drain hole is something I don't need?

If seriously bad fluid drains, I will reconsider a drain hole so I can drain between filter changes. I do not want to play with cleaners etc. but I have to leave an open mind.

I can assure you that the B&M 80250 plug kit is very robust and reliable.
The washer provided has never failed. Hand tight with a small wrench is all that is needed.
It does not come with the Teflon tape (or pipe dope) needed for the plug, either.
Kira - I'm not trying to pick on you or call you out, but don't make this into a big deal; it ain't that complicated ... For those of us competent enough to figure out how to install it, they work great.

BTW: others market similar products
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60175/10002/-1
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-24513-65128.aspx?origin=keyword

Last edited:
I had ordered a similar transmission pan last month from Dorman for my 68RFE with drain plug, my truck will be due for a trans filter service soon.

I don't know why that drain plug is situated like that. Just waiting to be impacted by something.Seems a couple inches more on the back side of that protruding hump would be better. I am sure there was a reason.

Last edited:
I’d love to put a drain plugin my 2011 but don’t like how it’s exposed on the dormant and, despite the acclaims here, have heard too many issues leaking with the b&m kit. I’ll stick with my fluid transfer pump and just spend a few extra minutes every year or two.

I’d love to put a drain plugin my 2011 but don’t like how it’s exposed on the dormant and, despite the acclaims here, have heard too many issues leaking with the b&m kit. I’ll stick with my fluid transfer pump and just spend a few extra minutes every year or two.
Look into an ATP pan. Maybe the plug is in a better location. I have found for my applications on two vehicles, the Dorman was slightly more shallow than the original meaning a little less capacity. The ATP for my Merc. was a little deeper, giving me an extra quart. I never had any leaking problems.

Literally the only Dorman product I'm a fan of. Just tighten up the drain bolt BEFORE you install it and put fluid in... learned the hard way they aren't always snugged from the factory...

I thought that it was the bolt gasket that these pans came with was the problem.... Looking to get one for my Alero...

Finally got a chance to do a drain and fill with the new pan. Takes longer to get ready that it does to drain
6.5 quarts to fill

Your truck is an F150 ?

2010 Lincoln Navigator.

I would have bought the Dorman pan but their site says it doesn't fit. The 2008-10 6R80s were slightly different than the 2011-2017 6R80s. But the pan looks the same from a distance so IDK?

When I had the pan off to fix the valve body sleeve and replace the filter, I drilled a hole and installed the Dorman kit, replacing the nylon washers with copper ones and using high temp thread sealant.

I get a few drips out the drain plug, the o-ring on the drain plug is inadequate. I'll figure something else out eventually. I'd like a drain plug with a bigger head that I could put another copper crush washer behind.

RockAuto list the same Dorman pan part number as my 6R100 unit
Should work just fine for you as well

My 2018 F250 didn't come a drain pan plug
So I ordered a new pan with one ðŸ‘

View attachment 10313
1. Why not just a drain plug kit?
2. If I saw that on a late model truck, especially one without a skit plate, I'd be wondering why it has a Chinese pan on? Did they tear off the original pan rock crawling and run the engine dry? Same if you bring it in for warranty work. At least remove those marking before installing and before you sell the truck later on.

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I've used the B&M drain plug kits for years and all of the ones I bought did have instructions printed on the back of the card. Said 25 ft/lbs max.

I’ve wanted to put this pan on my 2011 for a while now but as somebody already said, a fluid transfer pump goes pretty quick with the mercon LV. Not sure it’s worth the hassle and risk of leaks.

Back