Ford 4000 oil specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specifically oil specs for the power steering gear housing and power steering reservoir.

According to the specs the power steering gear housing calls for ESEN-M2C94-BA, ESW-M2C28-BA or M-4864-B and the power steering reservoir calls for ESEN-M2C92-A or M2C41.

From what I have been able to find ESEN-M2C92-A (power steering reservoir) is a 10W-30 hydraulic fluid and I think I have found a few sources for fluids that meet that spec, including Pennzoil. Any additional info. on this spec would be helpful.

The bigger problem is power steering gear housing (ESEN-MC28-BA), I haven't been able to find a fluid that meets that spec or what sort of properties this oil is. I think it might be a 90 weight gear oil, but I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I meant to post this in the hydraulic fluid board.

Last edited:
I have a similar tractor ('89 Ford 2810) and have used Rotella 10W30 engine oil, ISO 46 and 68 hydraulic fluid and the New Holland "134" (what the NH guys call it and what they will recommend you use) New Holland 134 and a generic 10W20 THF (trans hydraulic fluid) from Tractor Supply. They all worked equally well for the most part. I think if you look up any of the UTF (THFs) you will find they meet the specs you listed

I have rebuilt my steering system (which is almost the same as an older 4000) and it's really nothing special. Crude, actually. If you live in a hot climate, tend towards the heavier stuff, especially if you have a loader. My tractor has a loader on it, which puts a big strain on the front end and steering. Until I rebuilt the unit, the lighter grades tended to seep past the seals more.

Last edited:
If you want it simple that tractor can use any UTF that meets FORDs 134D spec,check the jug if it's listed you can use that in every sump but the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back