Ford 3.5 Ecoboost disaster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guy was at the shop when I rolled up a little after 7a. 2013 f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. His water pump was leaking.

Guy is stuck at the shop till it's done. Book time is 3.1 hrs. Had the dealer bring out a new pump, thermostat and belt since I would be removing those to get to the pump.

The engine has these long plastic tubes for the air from the turbos. They need to be removed to get to the pump. Of course the clamps to remove them are facing the wrong way and I can't get to them. Spent 4 hrs just on those clamps!

Finally got the clamps off. There is no way to pull those plastic tubes off the turbos. I pulled,pried,cussed and yanked with all of my 215 lbs. They are stuck!

Had to work around them. Finally got the pump off and there is a coolant pipe that goes between the heads that pulled out with the pump. It has o-rings that seal it. Called the dealer. He has no clue what I'm looking for. Called the next closest dealer... Not in stock and won't be here till Saturday!

Called the other places. Nope,no listing,nobody has anything in stock that's near that size. Greased the old ones up and slid the pipe back in.

Customer is getting concerned as it's now about 2p. He has been there since 7 for a 3 hr job. Tore my arms up from my shoulders down on sharp objects on those tubes that I can't get out of the way. I'm bleeding all over the trucks front.

Truck was done @4:55p. This job really tried my patience. A simple water pump job should not take this long or be this difficult. Definitely not a job someone is going to do in a parts store parking lot.

Going to add the Ecoboost to the list of garbage we won't work on.

My formerly owned 2012 Mazda CX-9 with the 3.5 (non turbo) apparently has to have the engine lifted up a bit to get to the water pump. Sounds like a nightmare to work on.

Last edited:
Yep … took a beating trading in our $50k 2015 Explorer when I realized it would not grow old gracefully … decided to get something where there is room for an arm and a wrench or two …

Keep those wounds clean …

Originally Posted by mbacfp
My 2012 Mazda CX-9 with the 3.5 (non turbo) apparently has to have the engine lifted up a bit to get to the water pump. Sounds like a nightmare to work on.

yep, it's down inside the valley, driven by the timing chain.. and it's a "while you're in here" job with the oil pump, and timing chain. and since the drive belts need to come off, might as well do those too..

Originally Posted by Chris142

Gotta love those turbo engine setups.
thumbsup2.gif

In all honesty, this is only becoming more prevalent.
Until full electric/hybrid becomes the norm, I don't see things improving anytime soon.

My formerly owned 2012 Mazda CX-9 with the 3.5 (non turbo) apparently has to have the engine lifted up a bit to get to the water pump. Sounds like a nightmare to work on.

If you catch thd coolant leak in time. If you don't, coolant mixes with the oil and takes out the engine.

I just remove the Throttle Body to CAC Tube, The Air Filter Housing Tube, & Drop the Lower Turbo to CAC Tube off the CAC side only......And work around the rest.

Is it a PITA?......Kinda! But you will be faster next time & make way better time!

I never replace those O-rings.....A thin coat of Hylomar M will prevent any seepage!

The engine has these long plastic tubes for the air from the turbos. They need to be removed to get to the pump. Of course the clamps to remove them are facing the wrong way and I can't get to them. Spent 4 hrs just on those clamps!

Were they the constant tension band clamps? Did you need some remote cable operated hose clamp pliers?

Originally Posted by perfect_oil

Were they the constant tension band clamps? Did you need some remote cable operated hose clamp pliers?

No regular worm clamps. Facing the wrong way and no room at all to get them loose.

No regular worm clamps. Facing the wrong way and no room at all to get them loose.

In situations like that with worm clamps, I can usually get to them with 1/4'' drive swivel sockets from a long ways away with long extensions. But they've got to be the Snappy brand for their ability to turn at high angles.

In situations like that with worm clamps, I can usually get to them with 1/4'' drive swivel sockets from a long ways away with long extensions. But they've got to be the Snappy brand for their ability to turn at high angles.

They were facing the engine/ turbo/ whatever with the part you screw right up against it. No way to get a socket of any kind on there.

Sounds like engineered in no DIY.

They were facing the engine/ turbo/ whatever with the part you screw right up against it. No way to get a socket of any kind on there.

How did you eventually get them off? Did you have to cut through the bands?

So how many hours does he get billed for?

4 hrs on the clamps?? Dremel 'em off and install new.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

Gotta love those turbo engine setups.
thumbsup2.gif

In all honesty, this is only becoming more prevalent.
Until full electric/hybrid becomes the norm, I don't see things improving anytime soon.

Turbo doesn't mean it has to be a disaster to service. It is the overall design of the engine.

Here is my 2103 Santa Fe Sport turbo water pump install:

http://www.hsfmanual.com/water_pump_repair_procedures-73.html

Couldn't be easier.

I am the oddball buyer who actually checks water pump, starter, alternator, etc install before buying. It was my first turbo car and I was concerned about things like this. Great car and easy to maintain.

Last edited:

All I'll say is.. wow. What a $_&$- of a repair job. Thank God my WP is like right there, staring at you, when you pop the hood. There's enough working room to have a party!...‚

Originally Posted by user52165

Here is my 2103 Santa Fe Sport turbo water pump install:

Couldn't be easier.

Ditto on my Kia..

Last edited:
Dads SHO has this engine and it's really shoehorned in there. Not looking forward to this job especially after reading this.

Cutting yourself up and bleeding all over the truck is nuts. I get scraped just about every time I work on something, but nothing ever like this.

You should have took photos.
laugh.gif

Thanks for posting. The EB is the deal killer for me. It hurts me to say I was a Ford fan boy for close to 5 decades, not anymore. I was hoping the Bronco would change things, but I really doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back