Ford 2005-09 4.6 3 Valve V-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed the 2005-2009 Mustang GT's are pretty cheap and might make a pretty good muscle car for those interested. For those who have an opinion, what do you think about the reliability of the aluminum block 4.6 with the 3 valve heads that were in Mustangs from 2005-2009. I watched a video on replacing the chains and guides. Quite interesting. Thanks.

They are great engine. The 4.6 loves synthetic 5W30 oil in my opinion. It's good to change the tensioners as soon as they start making noise on start up. The chain will smash the plastic guides until they break. Then you have a mess on your hands.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Replaced the chains and guides on one in an F150 with 290K. Nothing particularly difficult. Those engines in Town Car limos go over 500K all the time.

You won't see that mileage on a 3V engine. You're thinking of a 2V....or 4V

Originally Posted by mattd
Replaced the chains and guides on one in an F150 with 290K. Nothing particularly difficult. Those engines in Town Car limos go over 500K all the time.

You won't see that mileage on a 3V engine. You're thinking of a 2V....or 4V

Isn't the single OHC a 3V?

Just so my thread does not stall out, Wiki says the SOHC 3V was in the 2005-2010 Mustang GT, Ford Explorer, Mercury Mountaineer, and 2008-2010 Ford F series. I believe only the Mustangs got aluminum blocks.
smile.gif

Well, my F150 was a 2004 but my 210K Town Car was a 2010 and a 320K Town Car was a 2006. What problems do the 3V have over the 2V?

Cam phasers and timing issues associated with the VVT. The earlier 2v and 4v were simple motors that did not have these systems.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
The weird extended-shell spark plugs have a tendency to seize in their holes.

That's only on the 5.4s.

The early 4.6 3v's have the same plug design. The tendency to seize is less due to the fact that the vehicles they were in(mustang) were usually driven in a way that reduces carbon build up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back