Ford 2.7 ecoboost recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2015 F150 with the 2.7 ecoboost. I bought it used with 50,000 miles on it. I changed the oil immediately and put in Havoline ProDS 5w-30, and I plan on doing a UOA on it at 4000-5000 miles, which will be soon. I'm trying to decide on what to use next. With the recent thread about using a thicker oil in the 3.5 Ecoboost, I was thinking about trying that. Pennzoil Platinum Euro is currently on sale, so thought about maybe trying that in the 0W-40. It looks like it's SN-plus rated so should work ok in a GDI turbo motor. Other thought was Castrol Edge 5w-30, seems like the Ecoboost motors likes Castrol, at least the 3.5's do.

I won't know about fuel dilution or shearing until I get the UOA done, and not sure this motor suffers from it like the 3.5.

Any advice?

Last edited:
It's a hard working engine at 325hp and 400lb/ft of torque. Any 40 weight is fine. Or a 30wt with HTHS at 3.5+.

The Havoline Pro DS 5W30 is perfectly fine for your 2.7 Ecoboost. So would be Mobil 1 original, QSUD. These oils are a little thicker out of the bottle. There are some 5W30 Euro oils that are VW 504.00/507.00 that may be just what you need. They will be a bit pricey. Do 5,000 mile oil changes and you should be fine.

I'm not sure I would be using 0w40 in turbo direct injection engine, it's not recommended as far as I know in avoidance of lspi. Also moly is an lspi quencher, so if it were me I would look at short swing winter rating to weight oils with high moly and low calcium. Quaker state, RTAG, Amsoil, I do believe are all sn+ with higher than average moly. Might want to keep a short oci on that as well, like 5k mile range.

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of a higher HTHS. Does the VW 504/507 certification ensure a certain HTHS level... higher than a normal 30wt? I looked up the Rotella multi-vehicle and it looks like it is only SN rated, not SN+. I'm sure it would work well though.

I guess I'll know more after the UOA, whether shearing is an issue or not. Just going back and forth now on what to use in the meantime, thicker 30w or go to a 40w

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the PP Euro 0w-40 might be a good fit being SN+, hoping that rating would take care of the lspi issues.

With lspi manu's have a real issue they can possibly deny warranty simple on oil choice. At a minimum with direct injection I would look at what oils meet your manu's spec. Good luck with it, Burla

Originally Posted by Oscar1
Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of a higher HTHS. Does the VW 504/507 certification ensure a certain HTHS level... higher than a normal 30wt? I looked up the Rotella multi-vehicle and it looks like it is only SN rated, not SN+. I'm sure it would work well though.

I guess I'll know more after the UOA, whether shearing is an issue or not. Just going back and forth now on what to use in the meantime, thicker 30w or go to a 40w

I got confirmation that Rotella MV is indeed SN+ from an email I got from Shell, it is also very thick for a 30 weight, almost a 40 weight.

I've not found anything that I like as much as Magnatec. I've run it in all my vehicles including a 2016, and 2018 F150 with 2.7 eco. I didn't like Edge.

My brother has a F150 with the 2.7 and we just did the opposite actually, last change put in Magnatec and next time will be going with Havoline Full Syn because its convenient 6 quart box packaging.

Probably stick with either or throughout its life or maybe opt for RGT at some point if there are some sales.

I think the first oil change we did on it after he got it around 16k was Pennzoil Platinum after that switched to Magnatec.

anyways no issues with either or and we'll see how the Havoline goes next time around.

Going through the UOA section here at bitog shows Magnatec to be a good fit with EB engines. In 5w30 it meets Ford specs too. I used Edge 0w40 in my gen 1 EB but Ford has these things sorted out now and there's probably no need for thicker oil. Good news is, if you want to go thick, the engine does just fine with it.
5k OCIs are the key.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I use M1 10W-30 EP in my 2.7EB 4x4 with good results.

+1
If you want something thicker, try mobil 1 high mileage 10w30, or delvac 1 esp

Originally Posted by Brian553
Originally Posted by Cujet
I use M1 10W-30 EP in my 2.7EB 4x4 with good results.

+1
If you want something thicker, try mobil 1 high mileage 10w30, or delvac 1 esp

Or Havoline 10w30, DELO xle 10w30, pennzoil euro, etc...

I'd be looking for something with an HTHS of 3.5.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not sure what I'll end up using yet, I'll for sure post the results after I do the UOA on this current fill. I think I'll eventually end up using something a bit on the thicker side, but for the next oil change I'll go with Castrol Edge 5w-30 as I already have some. I definitely plan on OCI's of 4000-5000 miles, no more than that.

The highest mileage 2.7 EcoBoost I'm aware of is a 2016 that's up around 350,000 miles about now. It has had a steady diet of 5w-30 Motorcraft semi-syn when the meter says change it. That's approx every 10,000 miles whether it needs it or not.
I run the same in mine and cut the interval back to around 7500 miles.
I think these things get overthought a good bit.

Originally Posted by DavidJones
The highest mileage 2.7 EcoBoost I'm aware of is a 2016 that's up around 350,000 miles about now. It has had a steady diet of 5w-30 Motorcraft semi-syn when the meter says change it. That's approx every 10,000 miles whether it needs it or not.
I run the same in mine and cut the interval back to around 7500 miles.
I think these things get overthought a good bit.

I think I saw one of your posts on another forum talking about your friends mileage on his 2.7... impressive! I hope I see the same dependability out of mine. You're definitely right, I'm overthinking it a bit, but I wouldn't be on this forum if I wasn't!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back