Ford 2.7 ecoboost recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

He asked for a suggestion and I think the Europeans are right...throw some 40 in it.

Originally Posted by Navi
[Linked Image]

I'm not sure I would go A3/B4 on a TGDI because of the high SAPS content and possible intake valve carbon build up.

That's right jbutch. Some trends to reduce lspi events have taken oils like Castrol Edge to a more extreme recipe (5w30) where Calcium is lowered to around 800 and Magnesium gets pushed upwards to 1400.
If I had a turbo GDI, I wouldn't purchase any oil without the Dexos 1 Gen 2 cert on the label. That helps the engine prevent lspi - stay cleaner and last longer.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
That's right jbutch. Some trends to reduce lspi events have taken oils like Castrol Edge to a more extreme recipe (5w30) where Calcium is lowered to around 800 and Magnesium gets pushed upwards to 1400.
If I had a turbo GDI, I wouldn't purchase any oil without the Dexos 1 Gen 2 cert on the label. That helps the engine prevent lspi - stay cleaner and last longer.

That's a good point. Is the A3/B4 cert guaranteeing the oil is high SAPS? I tried googling it but couldn't find anything definite. What certification indicates a low SAPS OIL?

On the LSPI, I thought any oil meeting SN-plus would help prevent that? The Pennzoil Euro 0W-40 I mentioned earlier is SN-plus rated, but it's also A3/B4. If it is a high saps oil, then maybe I won't consider it.

Originally Posted by Oscar1

That's a good point. Is the A3/B4 cert guaranteeing the oil is high SAPS? I tried googling it but couldn't find anything definite. What certification indicates a low SAPS OIL?

On the LSPI, I thought any oil meeting SN-plus would help prevent that? The Pennzoil Euro 0W-40 I mentioned earlier is SN-plus rated, but it's also A3/B4. If it is a high saps oil, then maybe I won't consider it.

SOPUS is massively confusing on this oil and SN+...the page for the product family specifically states that SN+ does not apply for the 0W40 Euro.
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-platinum-euro.html
But, SN+ is all over the PDS itself.
???
It seems likely that A3/B4 oils are probably OK for LSPI due to their higher ZDDP levels, as a little ZDDP goes a long way in preventing LSPI, but I am still a lot more comfortable picking d1G2 oils. If this 0W40 is actually SN+, I would have no problem using it...I used M1 10W30 HM for one OCI when I saw it was SN+, but that was also the one and only oil with which I have had any real signs of consumption.
Before d1G2 went live, I actually bought some ZDDP additive and would add a little bit when I changed the oil...yeah, I'm pretty nuts. That additive has been sitting around unused in my garage since I bought my first d1G2 oil (M1 5W30 AP).

Originally Posted by Oscar1

A3/B4 has a SAPS content between 0.9-1.6 which is full SAPS.

In my TGDI I favor either Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle 5w-30(ACEA E6 which has HTHS 3.5 and low SAPS), Mobil ESP Formula 5w-30 ( ACEA C3 which has HTHS 3.5 and low to mid SAPS) and lastly for the winter I currently have Pennzoil Euro LX 0w-30 ( ACEA C3 which has HTHS 3.5 and low to mid SAPS).

Of everything listed above, Rotella MV is the only one SN+ rated but the others have 1700 ppm of calcium or less which isn't too bad for LSPI, limit is 1400 ppm.

Last edited:
In my 2015 2.7 I have used M1 high mileage, Valvoline full syn High mileage and Quaker state Ultimate all in 5W-30 and the seat Quaker state seemed the smoothest but then I probably have been a victim of the placebo effect..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back