Fluid Film or RP 342

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was given an old, but very heavy duty A frame made out of drill pipe that was used and is currently being used for a swing. Its so heavy that I needed a tractor with a bucket to move it. I had it sandblasted and painted, and the swing I had sanded down, touched up and repainted. I plan on giving it to my parents for their upcoming anniversary in July.

There are 2 holes drilled in the top pipe to allow eye bolts to be hung, to hang the swing from. That leaves the inside of the pipe exposed to rain and moisture. While I've had great success with Fluid Film, I've also heard great things about RP-342, never used it though. Which would be better to take a can and coat the inside of the pipe?

I suspect you are suffering from OCD. If the outside is painted, odds are anything that substantial will outlast your parents.

However if you're stuck on doing something, you don't at all need this level of expense. Mix some $3 tube of grease with enough gasoline to make it flow and dump it down in. You may think it won't get good coverage but neither will a spray can of anything over a significant distance and the main thing is to just give you an exercise to feel that you did something to quiet the OCD.
wink.gif

If you were making this for some truly important mission (long range space probe) and it's all you had to work with, I'd sooner flush it out with acid then use zinc heavy spray paint.

I'd say the RP-342 would be longer lasting/more durable, but the fluid film will weep better. I'd use the RP-342.

I use Fluid Film on my truck, but that's only because I have a five gallon bucket of the stuff and can reapply it twice a year. It does work pretty good, but it washes away. You really have to drive it down a dusty road after and get that dirt mixed in to strengthen it a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back