Fleet oil intervals to save money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I commute in a 2019 Mustang 5.0 it currently has 14K miles. It holds 10 quarts of syn and I'm putting 10K miles on her every 3 months, changing 10 quarts of syn every 3 months is too expensive.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing. Next oil change will be Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 and their filter. I'm currently using close to 1.5 quarts every 10K miles.

I will change the filter every 3 months and each time send an oil sample for analysis. I will change the oil when the analysis says to.

Bad idea? OK idea but needs some modifications to be a good idea?

Thanks for your comments.

Todd

I'd be tempted by a bypass oil filter and using Amsoil HDD 10w30 and never changing the oil. Just filter changes and keeping the engine topped up with regular analysis.

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
I'd be tempted by a bypass oil filter and using Amsoil HDD 10w30 and never changing the oil. Just filter changes and keeping the engine topped up with regular analysis.

How often would you do an analysis?

Originally Posted by Todd00000
Originally Posted by Bailes1992

How often would you do an analysis?

I'd start at 5k, then 10k, then 20k. I probably wouldn't go further than 20k, maybe 25k at most.

You need to get a commuter is what you need to do. I don't get how all of a sudden it's "too expensive" only 14k miles into ownership. Sounds to me like you bought the wrong car... good luck.

You choose to commute in a 5.0 V8 but the oil changes are too expensive? Have you calculated your fuel bills? This logic just isn't adding up.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
You need to get a commuter is what you need to do. I don't get how all of a sudden it's "too expensive" only 14k miles into ownership. Sounds to me like you bought the wrong car... good luck.

It's a base GT, only cost 35K. I don't want a boring commuter car. I also was shopping the Civic Type R but couldn't find the one I wanted. I get 25mpg when I use cruise control.

Last edited:
10 quarts? I havent bought or maintained a new vehicle since 2012. Is that large an oil quantity becoming more prevelent on newer vehicles? Im assuming its aimed creating longer OCIs thus reducing the advertised maintenance costs?

Too me, "too expensive" means you cannot afford your mortgage/rent payment because of the cost. Sounds like you just do not want to pay to play and bought the wrong vehicle.

If you really want to save money, drop the oil analysis being done every oil change to like every other or third oil change. I would also look at ditching the Amsoil to save some money.

Originally Posted by N Heat
10 quarts? I havent bought or maintained a new vehicle since 2012. Is that large an oil quantity becoming more prevelent on newer vehicles? Im assuming its aimed creating longer OCIs thus reducing the advertised maintenance costs?

I don't see how it reduces cost with a change interval of 10K miles.

What is the factory recommendation? Does it have an oil life monitor? Surely you can go much farther on an oil change.

Originally Posted by walterjay
What is the factory recommendation? Does it have an oil life monitor? Surely you can go much farther on an oil change.

Yes and yes, 10K miles.

It's a base GT, only cost 35K. I don't want a boring commuter car. I also was shopping the Civic Type R but couldn't find the one I wanted. I get 25mpg when I use cruise control.

Sounds like you have made your decision and, because of warranty and other things, you will have to live with 10k oil changes.

30$ for 2 x jugs of 5w20 ST is not a huge expense one would imagine. Look for end of year clearances at parts store and buy a lot, save money and live happy

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

But you obviously didn't consider the cost of ownership as it relates to your driving. But whatever..not much you can do about it now, so no sense in further beating you up over it.

I'd use M1 AP and change it every 6 months. Use the same filter, a M1 filter, for the duration of the oci. Do a UOA after 6 months to see if it's working. If the 10k every 3 months is majority highway, M1 AP should be able to handle it. Or you could use M1 EP and drain it every 3 months if that makes you feel better. But as far as "savings".. you're best bet is to buy a commuter.

Curious, what's the prescribed drain interval in your manual?

Last edited:
You're using AMSOIL SS which is rated for 15K miles for severe duty and 25K miles for regular use.

Extend your oil changes to 15K miles and ditch the oil analysis and you'll be saving a lot of money.

As for all the people complaining about your choice of a commuter car, screw them. You get better fuel economy than my 4 cylinder Escape and I'm sure you enjoy your commute far more than I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back