fl22 benefit over zerex?

hi
is there any difference in quality between the fl22 and the zerex asian even tho they are both phoat?
the zerex is 4 times cheaper here.
tnx.

Well, IDK what the differences are in the two coolants but, many here on this forum including myself, use Zerex Asian or Peak Global Lifetime coolants in place of Mazda FL-22, Toyota Longlife, Honda Genuine, etc.

Short answer is no, they're both phosphated OAT's. The biggest difference is cosmetic - the colour of the dye that's added.

Just topped off my miata with the zerex blue. The color of fl22 is green, so it wont turn brown or anything. Make sure to use the blue instead of red.

Originally Posted by Jake_J
Short answer is no, they're both phosphated OAT's. The biggest difference is cosmetic - the colour of the dye that's added.

Originally Posted by Jake_J

EXACTLY right...

Originally Posted by haggler
Just topped off my miata with the zerex blue. The color of fl22 is green, so it wont turn brown or anything. Make sure to use the blue instead of red.

the red and blue are basically the same to my understanding.

If you're flushing the whole system ya the color does not matter, but if you're mixing the red and green will produce brown whereas the blue and green will stay blueish green. I'd rather have green/blue than brown but technically it doesnt matter.

Last edited:
tnx haggler,one more thing if i may,
my 16.5 cx5 manual says the coolant should be changed after 10 years or 120k miles,
isnt that to much for a coolant?
tnx.

Originally Posted by avi1777
tnx haggler,one more thing if i may,
my 16.5 cx5 manual says the coolant should be changed after 10 years or 120k miles,
isnt that to much for a coolant?
tnx.

No, it's not too long for OE coolant in today's vehicles in a brand new sealed system. But, you have to keep an eye on the coolant level.

After the original 10 year coolant is changed out, this may drop to 5 years because the system is now open to air.

I mean, if you keep your CX-5 beyond ten years, you may want to change out the coolant sooner and keep with a good maintenance schedule thereafter.

I think I said that right!

CB

I keep my cars 6 years max,one time had to top of very very little coolant like half a coffee cup amount,does that mean the system got air in and I have to change after 5 years?

I keep my cars 6 years max,one time had to top of very very little coolant like half a coffee cup amount,does that mean the system got air in and I have to change after 5 years?

It's normal for the coolant level to drop a little bit after a few years, no need to worry. Modern OAT coolants are very long lasting, if the manufacturer recommends 10 years before changing it's be fine for 10 years.

No not really!
laugh.gif

If I am saying this correctly(and I could be absolutely wrong)...What I mean is, when the whole system(or just the radiator) is drained, to then be refilled again, the components are now exposed to the outside air. I mean, I don't think it's detrimental, it's just how I understand it.

The only problem I have with taking either in my Mazda is they only come in 50/50

Pentosin A2 is a concentrate PHOAT that is recommended for Mazda, Kia, Hyundai etc...It's a greenish blue color. OEM made by Reochem also makes a concentrate green and blue PHOAT which they recommend for those makes....it's available on Amazon.

Back