First oil change on new Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we are buying a new house and I will be losing my garage, so I figure I should change my oil now instead of in a snow filled driveway.

Right now PP, Castrol black bottle, Valvoline syn and Shell gas truck are all onsale for the same price roughly, $26-$30/5L jug. I'll also change it on the 2.5 Fusion while im at it, fusion is off warranty so jumping up to 5w30 is a non issue. I can change both from 2 jugs, so either way I am buying 2b may as well use them up.

Which would you guy recommend. I change on time more than milage, truck is 7 months old but last years model (2018) and has 5000km on it, got it in March. , fusion has 2000km (2014) it since last oil change in December. Both are just personal vehicles that get used on weekends, wife is on mat leave and I have a company truck. Winter is coming so will see temps down to the -40 range, may or may not be plugged in

use full syn
0w30 or 5w30
when really cold just wait till stuff warms up, I have my trans not shift when it was -19F many years back till it warmed up.

I'm running Rotella GT in my vehicles at the moment. It's doing well by my early accounts.

BTW, Rotella GT is designated as an all-mileage, SN+ oil. It should do fine in your EB engines.

Let us know what you decide to go with.

Originally Posted by tenderloin
What car is the ecoBoost? What size?
I am wondering the same thing.

Don't run too long of an oil change interval. I stick with 7500 miles even with full synthetic. This pretty much goes for most modern GTDI engines.

5W-xx synthetic oil can handle anything but the very, very, VERY worst that Canada's winter can throw at it

Originally Posted by Blkstanger

It's the truck. The 2.5L engine isn't a boosted variant (it's an older, but reliable, Mazda design).

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

It's the truck. The 2.5L engine isn't a boosted variant (it's an older, but reliable, Mazda design).

The truck is the Eco boost 3.5, and as quoted the 2.5 is not.

I use edge 0w40 and Valvoline 15w40 in mine and have no issues.

I have about 100k worth of uoa on edge on this forum with a truck that towed heavy quite a bit.

I also have over 50k worth of uoa on here with Kendall 5 w30.

Obviously I didn't follow Ford's recommendation on the oil weight but I tend to fall in the thicker is better camp.

My 2016 has about 110k on it now and it runs great new uoa on it in about a week.

I personally think if you use a quality Xw40 oil you can go the 10k oil change route. If you use 30 weight I would change at 7500.

I use the 40 weight because of the timing chain stuff I read about. Not that I am freaking out about it but it is the only thing I think about on this truck.

Dilution for me is a minor worry and I am in the camp of as long as it's less than 5% it's a non issue.

Sorry for the missive. ...

Originally Posted by leeaspell
Originally Posted by hallstevenson

The truck is the Eco boost 3.5, and as quoted the 2.5 is not.

People were confused because your sig shows an NA V-8 truck.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back