Fireworks and dogs

Just a reminder to make sure your pets are secure when the fireworks start going off. I say this after watching a friend's dog(30 lbs or so) scale a corner of 6 foot fence . This was a couple years ago(not July 4) when someone in the neighborhood set off an M80.
Happy July 4th!

One of our dogs hurt her leg last year, when we didn't take the advice given above. She was found by a busy road, fortunately our number was on her tag & someone called us. A couple of trips to the vet & daily doses of vetprofen, she's ok now.

Mine don't like them. A prior dog I had was really scared of them. Left at home locked in bedroom. Came home to a shredded door and carpet near the door.

I just tried to let my pit bull out to go potty. It was quiet, so I figured she had a minute. She gets halfway down the stairs on the back deck, and then a neighbor fires off a huge one. BOOM. Scared the [censored] out of her, literally. She backed into the gap between the stairs and got stuck with her hind legs hanging down.

Good god, try wrestling with a terrified, 60 pound pit bull that is stuck and doesn't know which way to go. Ugh. She is physically okay now, but it is going to be a long night.

Originally Posted by StevePLR
Try giving them some CBD chewables, it always helps calm my dog down!

No weed for my baby girl!
grin2.gif

I just wrap her up in a blanket.
My other dog doesn't give a hoot. Nothing scares him.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Years ago I had a friend whose Golden Retriever impaled itself on a picket fence while trying to jump out of the yard during a fireworks show. That's a tough way to lose a dog.

That is awful. I don't even want to think about that.

I hate firework noise. Scares my cats like crazy. They are not legal but people seem to pick and choose what laws they feel like following.
Yep - a big boom just went off.

our Shih Tzu sits in the window and watches the fireworks.....she will also go outside to potty in a lightning storm...….scared of the Roomba!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounded like a war zone earlier out here. Neither the cats nor the puppy cared. My youngest son didn't like being outside while they were going off, but inside he was fine and loved watching them.

Took my dog to the rifle range as a puppy. Kept him out of ear damage distance. He now rests or even sleeps through the fire works. The UPS truck wakes him up a block away. Barking fit! He HATES the UPS truck.

Last edited:
My dogs don't care at all about fireworks, but my grandpa's dogs melt into a puddle and freak out. I can't stand them.

My dogs and cats hate fireworks. My area is a war zone. There are no other words for it. This is definitely our last year here. HUGE mortars that scare my even deaf dog from the concussive blast. Retire and move!

My dog got so freaked out, she ran out the door when I opened it, and was half way up the street towards the busy 45 mph street where everybody now drives 60, when my loudest deepest voice slowed her enough so I could catch up and grab her.

I've not sprinted in years, and my knee is not happy.

I had to carry her back and she was shaking and whimpering for a long time after, but now seems OK, a few hours later.

One of my dogs couldn't care less, as long as he's with me, he's happy. The other dog paces and crawls under a bed. It sounded as Pablo said, like a war zone. The people in the neighborhood that love dogs hate it. The others don't care and will play with fireworks till the supply is exhausted. I can't change what I consider to be selfish behavior so I just shut the windows, turn on the A/C and make the TV a little louder.

Originally Posted by 2dogs
One of my dogs couldn't care less, as long as he's with me, he's happy. The other dog paces and crawls under a bed. It sounded as Pablo said, like a war zone. The people in the neighborhood that love dogs hate it. The others don't care and will play with fireworks till the supply is exhausted. I can't change what I consider to be selfish behavior so I just shut the windows, turn on the A/C and make the TV a little louder.

Most dogs are fine, UNTIL a firecracker is blown-off nearby to them.
That's all it takes to make them scared for life afterwards.

Back