Firestone destination LE3

So had the Firestone destination le3 installed.. my wifes journey feels like a new vehicle. Ride nice and smooth compared to her old good year fule max crap tires. Anways only compliant they are a bit noisy..

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by sierraskibum
Avoid the Firestone LE2 and LE3. I somehow made the mistake of buying them twice before and just bought a car with them on it. They ride bad and I have had to replace them after 10K miles each time as they get worse and worse. They will shake and vibrate. The General RT 43 H has been excellent on two cars and they aren't even expensive. I only get about 40K miles on any tire, and these go about that long. I am thinking of trying the T rated tire as tread is deeper and mileage is longer. I have never seen a bad review on the General RT 43.

So it appears the LE3's are new and improved. Did you have both? Or just generally bashing? How many miles on that car you bought with them on it? Let's get down to the details-it's more fun that way!

Your comments remind me of the guy who was reviewing a certain tire on a Mazda Protege with 150,000 miles on it (with no suspension replacement) telling us how rough a tire rode....I think you "somehow" left out some details.

I may or may not work at a tire shop that carries Firestone brand products and I can assure you the LE3 only just started arriving; I would imagine places like Tire Rack and Discount Tire are in a similar boat.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKN
Originally Posted by Mattz
So had the Firestone destination le3 installed.. my wifes journey feels like a new vehicle. Ride nice and smooth compared to her old good year fule max crap tires. Anways only compliant they are a bit noisy..

Oof. The LE2's were pretty quiet as I recall.

Oh, another point. The Firestone Destination LE2 will flat spot everytime you park it for a couple hours. By the time the flat spot works its way out with warming up, the trip is over.

Not nearly as bad as my pirelli scorpions were.

I'm pretty pleased w my LE2's.

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Oh, another point. The Firestone Destination LE2 will flat spot everytime you park it for a couple hours. By the time the flat spot works its way out with warming up, the trip is over.

UD

Agree … Scorpions were the 2nd worst riding LT I ever owned with Toyo the worst … In fact when changing them for the Destinations … told BIL that I went from Flintstone to Firestone ...Ž
(mine were the AT)

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by UncleDave

UD

Agree … Scorpions were the 2nd worst riding LT I ever owned with Toyo the worst … In fact when changing them for the Destinations … told BIL that I went from Flintstone to Firestone ...Ž
(mine were the AT)

Interesting on the Toyos.

Ive only ever used Toyo full size RV ( 22.5 ) tires and those have been superb.

All my buddies here in the mountains swear by the BFG Ko2's.

UD

They are stout, stout, tires … mine were 285's with big square shoulders
I gave them away at 20k with really deep tread. I was driving through an area of road construction daily and you were inches from speeding 18 wheelers and concrete barriers … they just did not absorb the bad road and never felt stable even after I tried new shocks. A trip in heavy rain while jerked around ended it for me. After the fact I found two others guys that ran them once. Now if I was building a rock crawling Jeep that I towed on a trailer … I'd grab them any day.

Have not been on this page for a while and noticed your inquiry. I have purchased the LE and LE2 tires new three times before for Ford Explorers. They were OK on the Explorers for about a year and then start shaking. Firestone manager said they were out of force and could not be corrected. Always have tires balanced, rotated and alignment checked on lifetime alignment from Firestone / TIres Plus. They replaced the Explorer tires last time with Continental Cross Contact LX20 from Tire Rack which were much better riding. The car I bought this year is a 2018 Chrysler 300s. The dealer put the LE2 on it and they are new. They flat spot every time parked on concrete and handle to hard for the car. Even though it is a heavy car, I find the ride and flat spotting a poor fit. I have a friend with them on a F150. Seems to be a good match for him on a heavy truck, but I would avoid for a lighter SUV or car. Had better luck on Ford Explorers with General Grabber HTS and CrossContact LX20 Continental. General RT 43s are excellent on cars and I would assume on light SUVs where the tire size matches up.

Have not been on this page for a while and noticed your inquiry. I have purchased the LE and LE2 tires new three times before for Ford Explorers. They were OK on the Explorers for about a year and then start shaking. Firestone manager said they were out of force and could not be corrected. Always have tires balanced, rotated and alignment checked on lifetime alignment from Firestone / TIres Plus. They replaced the Explorer tires last time with Continental Cross Contact LX20 from Tire Rack which were much better riding. The car I bought this year is a 2018 Chrysler 300s. The dealer put the LE2 on it and they are new. They flat spot every time parked on concrete and handle to hard for the car. Even though it is a heavy car, I find the ride and flat spotting a poor fit. I have a friend with them on a F150. Seems to be a good match for him on a heavy truck, but I would avoid for a lighter SUV or car. Had better luck on Ford Explorers with General Grabber HTS and CrossContact LX20 Continental. General RT 43s are excellent on cars and I would assume on light SUVs where the tire size matches up.

Just out of curiosity. Why would a dealer install the LE2 on a sedan? That seems like an unusual choice. Seems like a touring or grand touring tire would be a better match to a car like the 300S.

Originally Posted by ryster

Just out of curiosity. Why would a dealer install the LE2 on a sedan? That seems like an unusual choice. Seems like a touring or grand touring tire would be a better match to a car like the 300S.

Just like putting Goodyear Wranglers on a Chevy Caprice...instant 4WD!

It's so unimaginably bizarre to me how people will comment that their LE2s "rode hard as a rock" and "wore out after 10K miles." What? What? I would like to run a test on these "hard as a rock" people and blindfold them on a ride. Test four different tire brands (of THEIR choice) against the LE2s and bet them $5,000 cash that they can't pick out the "hard as a rock" LE2s. I would do that in a second. And the other guy: His LE2s wore out after 10,000 miles? Ummmm, yeah. I've had three sets of LE2s that have gone 65, 67, and 75K miles respectively. So the problem is not the tires; it's with you my friend. Lastly, I'm definitely replacing my 67K mile LE2s on my 2002 RX300 with LE3s. Just as soon as my LE2s wear out . . .

I was waiting for tire repair at the firestone shop today. The 2 and 3 appear nearly identical but the siping is deeper down in the 3s. We had 2 sets of 2s both were good, well-balanced, well made. Both got slick halfway through. Both were solid, and rode stiff, which was good for sharp turns. We sold one set with the car, and other we replaced early bc the rain driving in a pickup when empty became too touchy.

Holy cow old thread revival. Just got LE3 installed on Outlander. Firestone is probably somewhere in the end on my list go to tires before no name Chinese brands. But they are one of the few stores open on Sundays… Got a slit/puncture right on the end of thread near inner sidewall or rear tire. And it was losing air rapidly. And we had roadtrip to Houston planned today,
Hotels to late to cancel… Anyway can oof factory sealer in (it worked, horrifying part that dealers want $140 for a can of goo). One store where I originally ordered and prepaid replacement Bridgestone tire said that “no they can’t do it at 11am time in appointment, but closer to the end of business day” due to lack of workers. Good thing I called soon after they opened instead of waiting till appt time. Called one near me that had available slot 1 hour later, guy said to just come in, they will be anle to get me going in 45 mins. Ended up getting 4 new LE3. I planned to get new tires this year anyway. Original Toyo (a24s I think) had 40k on them and already had small cracks and were getting into “yellow mark 5-4 seconds with boldish looking edges”. Also paid for lifetime balance and rotate and road hazzard. (3rd time fix and 2 tires lost in past 2 years. Lots of construction around/sharp crap or the roads). Anyway we made it to Houston today. From that I noticed so far, they seem to be softer and more quiet (I know worn tires vs new tires is not the right comparison). Which is important for cars that can drive in EV mode. They feel softer, but I’m not sure if more bumpy or more squishy feeling. Today is very windy and I could feel that car was blown left and right all the time. Maybe on the way back to Austin weather will be better and I can have more accurate impressions. But so far not bad. Only complaint so far is the price. $1100+ out of the door with addons I mentioned above. I think I would be happy with cheaper RT43 (Liked them on car I recently sold, rode on them 60k miles and they still were not down to indicators and no cracks (I did lose one in past 2 years, bulge on sidewall, hit curb in a tight parking lot) or some Hankook tires h727 or similar…

Back