Finding a good "cold weather" vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IN addition to the cardboard, Use a low heater fan speed until the engine warms some, no sense keeping the water artificially cold DO NOT get a Freestar van with the 3.8V6 that thing takes over 10 miles in winter in Iowa before the gauge gets to normal.. One -15 morning it was not comfortable for 20 miles on I35.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
it takes three miles before the heat starts, and never gets hot, only luke warm, if under zero.

I only idle the vehicle in the drive for 30 seconds before taking off.

There's a reason why people let their cars warm up in cold weather first before they drive anywhere. Your situation might be why. How hard is this?

I don't live in a northern climate. And I may get run off the forum for saying this, but Stant Superstats IN MY EXPERIENCE typically create interior heat quicker than the old thermostats that were in there. As for the why behind it, I don't know. I just know on my vehicles I don't have to drive as far before I feel heat. Your results may vary, but that's my observation. Are there other brands that may be as good? Probably so, but this is my experience and this is why I replace the thermostats in each of my vehicles when possible (and if available) to get heat as quickly as possible when it's ice cold.

Some a you people are gettin a bit soft there. Back in dem old days, before most cars had tops, folks would drive around at 20 below with just a blanket on their back.

Bigger engine = faster warmup. Our Honda V6 is warm after about 1 mi of driving. Our Subaru Boxer 4 takes 3 or more miles before it starts to warm up. Another issue is heat if you live in an extremely cold climate (like N Ontario or Minnesota). In that case a vehicle with dual heaters is best (minivan or SUV) because the second heater is warming cabin air, and not the outside air you need to keep your windshield from fogging. When its -30F outside, even warmed outside air feels cold.

And don't forget the cabin air filter, if present. And if not, some heater cores can plug ON THE OUTSIDE with debris or mold, those items should be inspected to ensure that the air is flowing THROUGH the heater core and not around it. Same with the air intake ports usually at the base of the windshield, clear of ice and snow.

Heater on recirculate will also help a lot.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Anything with a turbo, you can get the oil up to temp a lot faster than a NA car if you wind it out a bit. I used to watch oil temps on my scangauge.

Not good for the turbo though.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
What am I looking for?

I want a vehicle that warms up FAST, and is HOT in below zero weather!

I got a little Nissan Versa with a 1.6L engine, it takes three miles before the heat starts, and never gets hot, only luke warm, if under zero.

I only idle the vehicle in the drive for 30 seconds before taking off.

Anything European made.

An EV will be the best by far.

You can turn cabin heat on while connected to house power via the smartphone app and the cabin will be fully heated before you get in.

Originally Posted by NO2
Bigger engine = faster warmup. Our Honda V6 is warm after about 1 mi of driving. Our Subaru Boxer 4 takes 3 or more miles before it starts to warm up. Another issue is heat if you live in an extremely cold climate (like N Ontario or Minnesota). In that case a vehicle with dual heaters is best (minivan or SUV) because the second heater is warming cabin air, and not the outside air you need to keep your windshield from fogging. When its -30F outside, even warmed outside air feels cold.

Not true. My Sienna 3.5 V6 is by far the worst winter vehicle I had. Not only that engine takes forever to warm up (even with block heater) lack of insulation in the roof makes heating rear compartment really difficult if car was parked outside for some time (airport). I was expecting fast warm u of an engine considering size, but that was not the case. Not only that, it dissipates heat super fast after it is parked.

My Subaru 360 was blowing like warm air by the end of my driveway.

Honda Insight seems to blow Luke warm air after 3-4 blocks.

I think the design is more important than the size.

A few cars I have never seem to make enough heat even after hours of driving and yes the thermostat is fine

When I had a company car, and live 2 blocks from a 4-lane highway, I would just jump on the highway at full throttle with it locked in 2nd gear...would get warm in under a mile, no matter how cold. Never had any engine issues...or oil burning ever. This was the famous 3.8L chevy...love those engines.

Get a remote start system. I installed one in my 06 mazda 3 a month after a bought it and it truly makes a difference, not only in winter but also in summer. Now I only use it during summer since I live in CA.

And it's not like you have to run it for a long time. I usually remote started just before putting on my coat, boots and getting ready to go out. It was usually less than 5 minutes, but helped a lot in getting heat sooner.

Originally Posted by NO2
Bigger engine = faster warmup.

It's probably more complicated than that, but in general, I'd expect the opposite to be true. Smaller engine has to work harder to get you going, so it should be generating more heat and warming up faster.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
My Subaru 360 was blowing like warm air by the end of my driveway.

Honda Insight seems to blow Luke warm air after 3-4 blocks.

I think the design is more important than the size.

A few cars I have never seem to make enough heat even after hours of driving and yes the thermostat is fine

PTC heater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back