Filter change to extend oci

Messages
5,627
Location
North Texas
Does changing a oil filter help extend the life of the oil between oci. I've done a 10K interval with a 5K Toyota filter change on my 2015 Tacoma and added maybe a half of a qrt to top off. Granted I would need a uoa to see the progress but I was curious if let's say I went to 20K on the oil that would mean I've done 3 filter changes.
 

TTK

Messages
668
Location
TN
According to my HS Chemistry teacher, Mr. Gilbert, oil never wears out and all you have to do is change the filter. That is all he did on his 1956 6 cylinder chevy straight drive car, cool
 
Last edited:
Messages
2,073
Location
America's Dairyland
It only extends the life because you topped off the oil. Oil filters trap more with use because they are clogging pathways internally. Filters only get particles large enough but there's still a lot of detritus floating that can't be filtered, hence the oil change. The other way makes more sense. Change the oil every 5k and the filter every 10. Honda has done this for decades. The only disclaimer is that the engine needs to be clean and healthy first.
 
Messages
2,683
Location
High Tax Illinois
I would like to see a test with sensors showing by-pass mode time on a oil filter that goes 20K miles. Common sense says the filter would load up as used, and would go into by-pass more often. shrug
 
Messages
4,888
Location
NJ
Originally Posted by oldhp
I would like to see a test with sensors showing by-pass mode time on a oil filter that goes 20K miles. Common sense says the filter would load up as used, and would go into by-pass more often. shrug
I just went 18,000 miles on a Fram Ultra in my Camry. Fram says it's rated for 20,000 miles. It's only going to go into by-pass if the media gets overloaded.
 
Messages
98
Location
Latham, New York
My question is: How do you know when it gets overloaded? Since I can't tell (can you?) I'll change the filter at every OC. Not worth my worrying about it. I can afford a new filter at every OC for my 3 vehicles.
 
Messages
2,683
Location
High Tax Illinois
Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by oldhp
I would like to see a test with sensors showing by-pass mode time on a oil filter that goes 20K miles. Common sense says the filter would load up as used, and would go into by-pass more often. shrug
I just went 18,000 miles on a Fram Ultra in my Camry. Fram says it's rated for 20,000 miles. It's only going to go into by-pass if the media gets overloaded.
Originally Posted by whatnext
My question is: How do you know when it gets overloaded? Since I can't tell (can you?) I'll change the filter at every OC. Not worth my worrying about it. I can afford a new filter at every OC for my 3 vehicles.
I know what they say. But have they done filter load test's? If so what kind of engine, driving style, how many times oil gets recirculated per mile, etc. But a XG8A will hold more than a XG3614.
 
Messages
24,578
Location
PNW
Originally Posted by LotI
Oil filters trap more with use because they are clogging pathways internally.
Not always true. Studies also show that as filters load up and the delta-p increases across the filter, captured particles in the media can slough off which essentially makes them less efficient, not more. It all depends on how well the media can retain captured particles as the delta-p inreases. That also goes for cold start-ups and high engine revs that can increase/spike filter delta-p. Air filters typically get more efficient with use, but oil filters are different on how they behave in that regard due to the much higher delta-p across them during use.
 
Messages
10,004
Location
Waco, TX
Originally Posted by oldhp
I would like to see a test with sensors showing by-pass mode time on a oil filter that goes 20K miles. Common sense says the filter would load up as used, and would go into by-pass more often. shrug
Guess what? They DON'T (when the oil is changed regularly) I ran a Motorcraft FL-1A in the 1990's for 30,000 miles with regular oil changes, and a Fram Tough Guard for 15,000 miles (2X oil changes at 7500) and it looked like brand new inside. I recently ran a Fram Tough Guard for 50,000 miles (5x or 6x oil changes) and i haven't cut it open yet, but i guarantee you now it will look fine.
Originally Posted by TTK
According to my HS Chemistry teacher, Mr. Gilbert, oil never wears out and all you have to do is change the filter. That is all he did on his 1956 6 cylinder chevy straight drive car, cool
His oil filter was not a full-flow design. Apples to bananas comparison.
 
Messages
2,961
Location
Western S.C.
Originally Posted by Linctex
... I ran a Motorcraft FL-1A in the 1990's for 30,000 miles with regular oil changes, and a Fram Tough Guard for 15,000 miles (2X oil changes at 7500) and it looked like brand new inside. I recently ran a Fram Tough Guard for 50,000 miles (5x or 6x oil changes) and i haven't cut it open yet, but i guarantee you now it will look fine. ...
30,000 on a FL-1A might be equivalent to 10,000 on today's typical micro-filters, as far as junk captured per unit media area (in engines in which that's a potential issue). Most of the filters I've dissected after 17-26k miles also "looked brand new inside."
 
Messages
24,864
Location
Upstate NY
Originally Posted by whatnext
My question is: How do you know when it gets overloaded? Since I can't tell (can you?) I'll change the filter at every OC. Not worth my worrying about it. I can afford a new filter at every OC for my 3 vehicles.
You can send the filter to be analyzed.
 
Messages
318
Location
Canadia
Originally Posted by Lubener
What some will do to save a buck. All you are doing is loading up that new filter immediately.
Loading up with what, exactly? Any contaminates remaining in the "dirty" oil were too small to be caught by the previous filter, so why would the new filter suddenly start capturing them?
 
Messages
3,192
Location
Cali
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Why not just change the oil filter every OCI? popcorn popcorn2
It's to complicated for the extended oil change crowd. cheers
 
Top