Filoli House - Meeting of Heads of State today

You probably know the Heads of State from the United States and China are meeting today at an estate up in Woodside, CA. This is just north of Palo Alto. They are meeting at the Filoli House, which was built in 1917 for about $425K at the time, not including the gardens, etc.

Filoli sits on the unceded ancestral homeland of the Lamchin, an independent tribe of the Ramaytush Ohlone peoples, the original inhabitants and stewards of the San Francisco Peninsula.

The property is considered one of the finest remaining country estates of the 20th century, featuring a 54,000+ square-foot Georgian revival-style mansion, 16 acres of exquisite English Renaissance gardens, a 6.8-acre Gentleman’s Orchard, and hundreds of acres of Natural Lands with 5 distinct ecosystems and a 1-mile Estate Trail.

Since there is a "Gentleman's Orchard", of course I would never be allowed to visit. A friend who is into architecture and such took Sue when I was working on some dirty greasy old Pontiac or something...

You probably know the Heads of State from the United States and China are meeting today at an estate up in Woodside, CA. This is just north of Palo Alto. They are meeting at the Filoli House, which was built in 1917 for about $425K at the time, not including the gardens, etc.

Filoli sits on the unceded ancestral homeland of the Lamchin, an independent tribe of the Ramaytush Ohlone peoples, the original inhabitants and stewards of the San Francisco Peninsula.

The property is considered one of the finest remaining country estates of the 20th century, featuring a 54,000+ square-foot Georgian revival-style mansion, 16 acres of exquisite English Renaissance gardens, a 6.8-acre Gentleman’s Orchard, and hundreds of acres of Natural Lands with 5 distinct ecosystems and a 1-mile Estate Trail.

Since there is a "Gentleman's Orchard", of course I would never be allowed to visit. A friend who is into architecture and such took Sue when I was working on some dirty greasy old Pontiac or something...
Well at least it wasn't built by the family which was the largest stockholder of Union Pacific Railroad. lol.

Send this to GON!

He might be interested in buying that property……….😎

Who owns it?
William Bourn built the mansion...

William Bowers Bourn II was an American entrepreneur and socialite. Bourn ran and controlled the Empire Mine and the San Francisco Gas Company, he was an investor in Spring Valley Water Company, and he led a merger to what later became Pacific Gas and Electric Company.

From the website:
After Agnes and William Bourn’s deaths in 1936, the Roth family purchased Filoli.

After Bill’s death, Lurline moved to a smaller home and later donated the House and Garden to the National Trust for Historic Preservation, explaining, “Filoli is too beautiful to be private.”

Personally, I find the James Lick Observatory much more interesting. But the Heads of State are not going there today, AFAIK.

Aaaawww, How cute. 🥱 ;) The Biltmore house and estate originally contained 125,000 acres that is currently the Pisgah National Forest. The estate now currently has ‘only‘ 8,000 acres. Built in a French renniasance chateau style by George Vanderbilt and located in Asheville, N.C. construction started in 1889 and was completed in 1895 at a cost of 5 million 19th century dollars. The largest private home in the U.S. Biltmore has 175,000 square feet, 250 rooms, 35 bedrooms, 43 bathrooms and 65 fireplaces. The Biltmore winery is the most visited winery in the U.S. Biltmore House also has elevators…for those who might have difficulty ascending stairs….!

Last edited:

Thanks Jeff. It’s nice to know about local attractions.

Back