Filled With Wrong Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
You gotta love those free oil changes, "pot luck" it seems. I'd either make them put the right oil in it, or change it to the proper oil and find another dealer if you plan on having the vehicle serviced in the future.

Originally Posted by tojo1968
I only have a one mile commute to work and drive maybe 50 miles on the weekend.
Ride it out. No problem. With that duty cycle, there is no way the small miniscule amount of difference between HTHS 2.7 oil and HTHS 3.0 oil will cause a problem.

Originally Posted by Rat407
It will not hurt a thing. I'm running 0w-20 in my 2002 Silverado that calls for 5w-30 and I even pull a 4klbs trailer. The UOA came back just fine after 5k miles of use.
A friend of mine uses 0w20 in a BMW in the winter, and ILSAC full syn 5w30 in the summer, no problems either. My '19 Tiguan calls for 0w20 and thats what goes in.

I also suggest you drain the pan and refill with 5w30. I would not bother the new filter, there's not enough oil in there to change the 5w30 very much.

Do you (or anyone you know) have a vehicle that specs 0w20?

I doubt you'll have an issue, but they should change it out and install the 5w30. The 4.0L is an older engine design and at one time allowed up to a 40 grade.

my wifes 14 sienna used the 2grfe v6 engine that calls for 0w20. her 07 sienna also had a 2grfe that called for 5w30. i think they only changed the oil cap.

many toyotas are backspecked to replace 5w30 with 0w20.

Originally Posted by buster
I doubt you'll have an issue, but they should change it out and install the 5w30. The 4.0L is an older engine design and at one time allowed up to a 40 grade.

So did the 2.5 which Nissan now has speced at 0-20 which a few years ago was 5-20, before that 5-30 and before that 5-30, 10-30 and or 10-40. They may have changed some components but the hollow chunk of cast is pretty much the same. I'm interested to hear if anyone has ran 5 or zero 20 for extended periods and not have had issues. Not the newer ones but the older qr's

Originally Posted by PW01
Make them redo the oil change

Frankly if you didn't do the change or weren't standing right there watching its a guess at best what's really in there. DIY and you'll know unless you've lost it.

35.gif

These "dealer put in the wrong oil" stories just keep coming and coming. Recurring theme, akin to misspellings on prerecorded newscasts.

Your oil is too thin for specification. It might be ok, but I would have the dealer fix it - especially if you are concerned for warranty. Especially since you have paperwork showing that they put the wrong oil in…

You've got a stash of 5w30 at home. Bring the required amount of 5w30 to the dealership and do a simple drain and fill, the filter's already installed so obviously no need to change it. Twenty minutes and done.

Sounds like a good idea. I will start doing my own after this.

Then you should do it NOW. Get that oil out of there, and put in the correct weight oil. What's it going to cost? $40.00 with a filter, and a half hour of your time, if that. Less than a tank of gas. That seems like a small price to pay for the peace of mind you are seeking.

The thing is, the person who has to be convinced about this is you. It bothers you they put the wrong oil in your car. (For the record it would bother me too). A hundred guys telling you on an Internet forum you'll be fine, isn't going to change your mind. What will is to change your oil.

Mechanically it could be argued for 20 pages that it may or may not be necessary. But the fact is for YOUR peace of mind it IS necessary. So I would just do it and be done with it. As I've said before, there are a lot of things in this world worth losing sleep over. Oil isn't one of them. And it doesn't matter in the least what someone else thinks. Only what YOU think.

Originally Posted by billt460
Sounds like a good idea. I will start doing my own after this.

Then you should do it NOW. Get that oil out of there, and put in the correct weight oil. What's it going to cost? $40.00 with a filter, and a half hour of your time, if that. Less than a tank of gas. That seems like a small price to pay for the peace of mind you are seeking.

The thing is, the person who has to be convinced about this is you. It bothers you they put the wrong oil in your car. (For the record it would bother me too). A hundred guys telling you on an Internet forum you'll be fine, isn't going to change your mind. What will is to change your oil.

Mechanically it could be argued for 20 pages that it may or may not be necessary. But the fact is for YOUR peace of mind it IS necessary. So I would just do it and be done with it. As I've said before, there are a lot of things in this world worth losing sleep over. Oil isn't one of them. And it doesn't matter in the least what someone else thinks. Only what YOU think.

thumbsup2.gif
You nailed it. Getting that oil out would be very high on my list of things to do if I had the slightest bit of doubt.

My son has a 14 Altima. Manual calls for 5w20 but his invoice had 5w30 on it a few weeks ago.

I think it's so they can have a low cost of maintenance. 5w30 conventional is the cheapest oil at the quick lube.

/SMH
So, let me get this straight:
Dealer changes Oil on your car and puts wrong Oil in ( that in itself is scary!)
You call Dealer and inform him that he screwed up and put wrong Oil in.
Dealer blows you off and tells you "You'll be fine"...….
Does anyone else find this disturbing...…...the dealer screwed up and instead of taking responsibility for his wrongful action, he basically says that he is not going to do anything about it??

I personally would:
A) Never go back to this place (questionable Service procedures)
B) Do my own oil changes!

Just saying...……………..

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
They messed up. Call them back and demand the proper weight be used.
Having said that, I doubt the 0w20 will cause any problems, especially with winter coming.

I would get what you paid for.

Yeah, I agree or if you dont want to go through the hassle and time, plug the drain plug, leave the filter and put in your 5/30.
Time is money so either way you lose, for me, I rather just do it myself and be done with it, maybe.
I do know I would not leave in the 20.

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
/SMH
So, let me get this straight:
Dealer changes Oil on your car and puts wrong Oil in ( that in itself is scary!)
You call Dealer and inform him that he screwed up and put wrong Oil in.
Dealer blows you off and tells you "You'll be fine"...….
Does anyone else find this disturbing...…...the dealer screwed up and instead of taking responsibility for his wrongful action, he basically says that he is not going to do anything about it??

I personally would:
A) Never go back to this place (questionable Service procedures)
B) Do my own oil changes!

While I agree with everything you've said, none of it surprises me. And I'd be willing to bet most dealerships are no different than this one. At least in regards to what they dump into your crankcase. ALL of it is driven by profit...... Not the best interest of your vehicle. Mechanical or otherwise.

Then, add in the likelihood that the lowest man on the totem pole is usually the one who performs these duties, (oil changes), and it all adds up to good reason to stay out of these places, and do your own. It's sad it has come to this. But unfortunately that's the way it is.

Another benefit of doing your own changes is that you become familiar with your car. While you are underneath take a look around. See how things are assembled. This way you might catch problems early on. Also, check your fluids and tire pressures while you wait for the oil to drain.

Originally Posted by Neely97
With a one mile commute, the 0-20 might be even better for the engine.
True. A 0w20 stays plenty thick during that. Not a problem. A lot of posters are overreacting here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back