Filet mignon or ribeye in Crock Pot?

ecotourist We often cut steaks in half and freeze half. We get 2 meals out of a steak and as a bonus cut down on how much meat we eat. The other thing we do is slice (cold) left over steak for sandwiches. We slice it at a shallow angle to make larger slices. Cold steak makes delicious sandwiches.[/quote said:
My thought as well. I tend to buy larger cuts of meat and process it down to usable portions, then freezing it is how I roll.

BTW, the reason for angle slicing it to get more cross-grain cutting, resulting in more tender and easier to eat slices.
cool.gif
Getting larger slices is just an added benefit.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by A_Spruce
BTW, the reason for angle slicing it to get more cross-grain cutting, resulting in more tender and easier to eat slices.
cool.gif
Getting larger slices is just an added benefit.
grin.gif

I'll agree with that. You get both. And steak makes wonderful sandwiches.

Follow up:

The ribeye came out heavenly!! The entire flavor (meat, russets,carrots,and au jus) taste absolutely incredible!! MUCH better flavor and texture than chuck roast. Ribeye has always been my fave cut of meat. I made tacos with it tonight for dinner. Next,I'm giving filet mignon a go. HEB always has them really cheap.

I've never tried them. I agree with other comments and those cuts are probably too good to use in a crockpot. But...I'm curious...it might be worth a test, right? Try it and let us know!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Follow up:

The ribeye came out heavenly!! The entire flavor (meat, russets,carrots,and au jus) taste absolutely incredible!! MUCH better flavor and texture than chuck roast. Ribeye has always been my fave cut of meat. I made tacos with it tonight for dinner. Next,I'm giving filet mignon a go. HEB always has them really cheap.

I bet it did I'm not sure on the tenderloin and think it might disappoint just lacking the marbeling as the ribeye should have had.

Anyone ever try this? I'm wanting to do something different. Make a "pot roast" in the Crock Pot using filet mignon or ribeye instead of beef chuck roast.

Some things were never meant to be. That is one of them.

I bought a two pack of bacon wrapped filet mignon,some russets, carrots,and a box of mushrooms. I'll throw all that in the Crock Pot and see how it comes out and report back.

For me there are no rules in cooking. Do whatever you feel, if it comes out good then
thumbsup2.gif
If not then try something else.

The filet mignon came out uber tender, but didn't have that heavily flavor of the ribeye. The ribeye is the most amazing thing I've ever tasted cooked in the Crock Pot. Blows away chuck roast!!

Originally Posted by dave123
I'm not sure on the tenderloin and think it might disappoint just lacking the marbeling as the ribeye should have had.

Yep,it was a bit disappointing. Tasted really bland. It'll be ribeye from now on.

Sure you could. It will just be a very expensive chunk of stew meat and taste like any other chunk of beef that's slow cooked in a crock pot.

The filet mignon came out uber tender, but didn't have that heavily flavor of the ribeye. The ribeye is the most amazing thing I've ever tasted cooked in the Crock Pot. Blows away chuck roast!!

It's the fat in ribeye that gives the flavor.

As quoted:

What Does Rib Eye Taste Like?
The closer the section of meat is to the head of the cow, the more marbling there is. Because this area of the cow gets little exercise, the muscle isn't used much and therefore the meat is nice and tender. Since the rib primal is behind the chuck (shoulder area) primal, rib-eye steak has an abundant amount of fat. This fat melts from the inside out during cooking, giving the meat loads of flavor and a buttery taste. The steak also remains tender during almost any cooking process.

Skirt steak? What is that? All these names just to confuse the consumer. There were no cuts called skirt steak years ago. I don't recall flank even being used either.

Last edited:
Thanks. Now tell me what is a "Texas" steak I see in my local store. Looks like a flat iron but not sure...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Thanks. Now tell me what is a "Texas" steak I see in my local store. Looks like a flat iron but not sure...

No idea. Never seen it. Maybe ask someone in the store's meat department?

Originally Posted by Lubener

I bet them calling is a Texas steak is just a marketing gimmick. Kind've like Texas toast. Maybe making you think you're getting this HUGE Texas sized steak
laugh.gif

Back