Favorite .22 ammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
At present prices , I can reload .38 / .357 Mag with home cast bullets & Unique close to the price of .22LR , I think ?

That's a large part of the reason why I don't shoot that much rimfire.

I even go so far as to start new shooters out with a lever action shooting a light 38 Special. I feel like it drills "I'm actually shooting a gun" into them more so than a 22(which some people seem to treat like a toy, even though of course it can be as dangerous as anything else), but is still very manageable and easy to shoot.

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
At present prices , I can reload .38 / .357 Mag with home cast bullets & Unique close to the price of .22LR , I think ?

That's a large part of the reason why I don't shoot that much rimfire.

I even go so far as to start new shooters out with a lever action shooting a light 38 Special. I feel like it drills "I'm actually shooting a gun" into them more so than a 22(which some people seem to treat like a toy, even though of course it can be as dangerous as anything else), but is still very manageable and easy to shoot.

.22 ammo prices have come back down since the insanity. It's pretty easy to buy .22 for around $.03/rd which is the going price for primers.

I'm very fond of mine. Back when I was working on my grandmother's farm, I carried it in a cross draw uncle Mike's holster on my belt, and it was like it wasn't even there. Killed about ten rats in the barn with it using CCI shotshells. Mines an '04 model new bearcat, and I love the simplicity of it, the size and weight, and the elegant, Remington '58-esque styling. Only complaint, and really, not even a complaint, is it takes a minute for me to load it due to the tiny loading gate. But, you're not exactly going tactical with single action anyway, right?

Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by newbe46
CCI Mini-Mag 40 grain. If I recall correctly I only had one failure in 8,000 rounds.

+1

Though I haven't had a single failure with one yet, I haven't shot that many, either...

+2. My Marlin 60 and my 1968 Marlin 99 m1 love the CCI mini mags. My Savage 17 hmr likes the Federal Vshock 17 grain.

Winchester Super X is what I prefer, but I have also had good luck with both CCI and Aguila, standard or high velocity, they all work about as reliably.

I use shotshell for killing our meat rabbits, you have to use it fairly point blank, but the easiest most humane kill method I could come up with.

Yes, for small animals at point blank range the shot Shell is excellent. I dispatched a few opossums last fall, and the CB shorts were my ammo of choice. I've used the shotshell with good success on rats.

Originally Posted by hatt
.22 ammo prices have come back down since the insanity. It's pretty easy to buy .22 for around $.03/rd which is the going price for primers.

And seems even Walmart has many flavors in stock at all times. How many years did it finally take for the horders to stop cleaning out the stores every morning.
crazy.gif

Just picked up a box of 525 rounds of Federal 36 grain round nose plated hollow points for $17.99 at outdoor limited. Also like anything cci in rimfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back