Factors that can affect warming up time

"My Kia takes a good amount of time for the temp sensor to start moving, while my MB shows an increase within the first 2 mins or less."

You can't compare the temp gauge of one maker vs. the temp gauge of another maker, UNLESS both gauges are marked with concrete values such as 120, 180, etc. Otherwise, how do you know what gauge A, which might be marked in small segments, means in relation to gauge B, which uses a needle?

Plus, gauges may be calibrated a little conservatively, or a little optimistically. There's probably only a very broad guideline in which they all operate.

Hi,

"Water distribution within in an engine has (utterly) nothing with faster defrost times...the fact that there's heat...yep...but that heat during warmupis very dependent on viscous shear in the oil...many BITOGers will attest to my practice of accelerated warm-upbyholding2,000-2,500 RPM on the warmup phase." sic.
Sorry but untrue about water distribution.

"Here's a chart of bearing temperature rise with the engine simply being cranked (zero (non)expolosions)" sic.
Nice chart showing battery energy converted into heat during cranking? Not sure why this was posted. Sorry.

In my experience the biggest extender to engine warm-up time is the cabin-heater fan. The second is the cabin-heater matrix.
Also modern 3-port thermostat is one reason modern cars warm up quicker.

"not thinking is a serious issue these days.." sic
Agree. A+1
Cheers,
Iain.

Engine design has alot to do with it. My ford 400m warms up quickly because of its internal coolant bypass. My 302 in my truck takes forever and both have the same tempurature thermostate. The 400m also has a heat riser that blocks the exhaust on the right side manifold to direct hot exhaust air under the intake manifold thus warming it up quicker. My 302 dont have that since its fuel injected. Not sure what the germans do different but dont some mercedes engines use an electric water pump? Maybe that help faster warmup with no coolant flow.

Hi,
I converted my 60's CP Triumph engine to a sealed system, Electric water Pump & three-port thermostat.
Warmed up in minutes. I had to add a second EWP for cabin heat though.

It was the best. Then the cold weld fell to bits along with the system after two years of success.
My Mechanical skills are kak. Back to Mech pump & OEM stat.

I do have a new higher volume expansion tank to fit.

Stay Safe,
Iain.

Back