Factors that can affect warming up time

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by PimTac

The original question is being answered.

The original question is not what does the ECU do to manage warm up. If that's a discussion you want to have, great.. let's have it. But the original question as I understood it (maybe I misunderstood the question..if so, plz enlighten me on what I missed), is what can an individual do to accelerate warm up...not what is the ECU doing during warm up.

He can sit in the car and hold the revs to 2000 RPM for 5 minutes, or drive easy in a lower gear for a few miles if possible - that will help warm-up the engine and oil faster.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

He can sit in the car and hold the RPM to 2000 RPM for 5 minutes, or drive easy in a lower gear for a few miles if possible - that will help warm-up the engine and oil faster.

And that's what I suggested..I suggested giving the engine a little gas during warm up would have a more profound effect v. using a thicker lube...but then somehow we got off into a discussion of throttle not being rpms, temps at bearings curves, coasting in lower gears blah blah blah. Oy vey...

Not just HP anymore … my 2018 5.3L has an oil cooler and piston jets … my 2010 5.3L did not.

The 2018 has the electric fans and shutters I mentioned
Neither had oil temp gauges … but the 2018 "warms up" faster on 0w20 than the 2010 on 15w40 …
so without oil temp plots we micrometer a brick.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Not sure what is off topic but certainly personal attacks in this thread

When you RE to the OP instead of who is out of line, who knows ?

Probably me and my pointing out something, which will go unreferenced, about a certain somebody.

No reason to lock the thread as that line of comments is done for as far as I'm concerned.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Not just HP anymore … my 2018 5.3L has an oil cooler and piston jets … my 2010 5.3L did not.

The 2018 has the electric fans and shutters I mentioned
Neither had oil temp gauges … but the 2018 "warms up" faster on 0w20 than the 2010 on 15w40 …
so without oil temp plots we micrometer a brick.

Because NASCAR bodies have very few openings on the front for aerodynamics, they rely on the oil as an integral part of the cooling "system" - system being the keyword. While the pressurized water system (yes H20, not coolant) is tasked with being the principle way to keeping the engine running cool, oil helps in this. They use huge oil coolers connected to an aux sump with ducted airflow, to not just lubricate metal parts but to help cool (heat xfer) the engine and oil. Now pcmo's aren't really tasked with having to perform this function like they are within an 800hp, 8k rpm engine with operating oil temps of around 280°.

Last edited:

He can sit in the car and hold the RPM to 2000 RPM for 5 minutes, or drive easy in a lower gear for a few miles if possible - that will help warm-up the engine and oil faster.

And that's what I suggested..I suggested giving the engine a little gas during warm up would have a more profound effect v. using a thicker lube...but then somehow we got off into a discussion of throttle not being rpms, temps at bearings curves, coasting in lower gears blah blah blah. Oy vey...

And I believe, as already stated before, that the computer will do that if the ambient temperature is low. All engines have a fast idle mode. If the temps are really cold then that mode will be longer in duration. Furthermore, engines run richer at a cold start. The computer is doing a lot of things to get the engine warmed up as quickly as possible. That is all part of the efficiency standards these days.

The computer technology has advanced in cars just like it has in laptops and smartphones. They know if it's snowing or icy out. They know if you are going up or downhill. They know if you are on a windy road. Some of this helps with driving ability and some of it keeps the engine at the optimal operation. I think trying to outguess the computer is futile for the most part

And I believe, as already stated before, that the computer will do that if the ambient temperature is low. All engines have a fast idle mode. If the temps are really cold then that mode will be longer in duration. Furthermore, engines run richer at a cold start. The computer is doing a lot of things to get the engine warmed up as quickly as possible. That is all part of the efficiency standards these days.

The computer technology has advanced in cars just like it has in laptops and smartphones. They know if it's snowing or icy out. They know if you are going up or downhill. They know if you are on a windy road. Some of this helps with driving ability and some of it keeps the engine at the optimal operation. I think trying to outguess the computer is futile for the most part

Very good points and agree wholeheartedly.ðŸ‘

The original question is being answered.

The original question is not what does the ECU do to manage warm up. If that's a discussion you want to have, great.. let's have it. But the original question as I understood it (maybe I misunderstood the question..if so, plz enlighten me on what I missed), is what can an individual do to accelerate warm up...not what is the ECU doing during warm up.

Like I said...and Patman has demonstrated based on my previous advice...hold a lower gear while you traverse town...bbhero has domenstrated it as well.

As to suggesting that I took the thread off the reservation...I was responding to errors of fact that others have already planted...

Interested in your lengthy observation of my behaviours - since May - who were you before May ?

Originally Posted by Shannow
- since May - who were you before May?

How's the BITOG's length of membership relevant to this thread? Or, simply put, how is it relevant to the knowledge on any topic, including oil? Has it ever occurred to you that most relevant tribologists, engineers, et. al., don't spend a [censored] minute on this site?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Shannow

Interested in your lengthy observation of my behaviours - since May - who were you before May ?

Oh here we go...let me put on my tinfoil hat for this one....‚..has it crossed your mind that maybe, just maybe, I've perused your old(er) posts in the forum? Nah, it couldn't be that... let's go with the imma' former member conspiracy, it's much more exciting!...‚

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilReport99
Has it ever occurred to you that most relevant tribologists, engineers, et. al., don't spend a [censored] minute on this site?

Exactly!... and neither are many master mechanics for that matter, they're simply too busy...but shade tree tribologists and mechanics (like myself ...‚) are aplenty on BITOG!...

Last edited:
Has it ever occurred to you that most relevant tribologists, engineers, et. al., don't spend a [censored] minute on this site?

Exactly!... and neither are many master mechanics for that matter, they're simply too busy...but shade tree tribologists and mechanics (like myself ...‚) are aplenty on BITOG!...

And bums like me...
lol.gif

Originally Posted by 4WD
Active grill shutters and electric fans on my GM 5.3L's

Yep, have those on the RAM. The grille shutters make a huge difference.

MolaKule is a Tribologist's Tribologist
Shannow is an Engineer's Engineer
Trav is a Master Mechanics Master as is Chris (Clinebarger)
DNewton is one guru of a statistician
Astro14 brings the CAVU here
Overkill IMO is a moderator who debates, but not locks
We know who the filter guru is and so on

Just to name a few … and, oh, hate to see BrocL is hardly on the site anymore … but plenty other sharp engineers and technicians and people who work in many interesting fields …

Folks will always disagree. One might get angry.
But we should all wait a while, cool off, reflect, before the response

Originally Posted by 4WD

MolaKule is a Tribologist's Tribologist
Shannow is an Engineer's Engineer
Trav is a Master Mechanics Master as is Chris (Clinebarger)
DNewton is one guru of a statistician
Astro14 brings the CAVU here
Overkill IMO is a moderator who debates, but not locks
We know who the filter guru is and so on

Just to name a few … and, oh, hate to see BrocL is hardly on the site anymore … but plenty other sharp engineers and technicians and people who work in many interesting fields …

Folks will always disagree. One might get angry.
But we should all wait a while, cool off, reflect, before the response

I concur
cheers3.gif

Thanks everyone for the input. I've been moving to a new condo and couldn't really reply to folks here, but I def haven't expected to see that much of an input. Appreciate all the info on the thread.

I mentioned earlier that a thicker oil will result in a quicker engine warm up. Assuming that in general a 10W has a higher viscosity than a 5W or a 0W at colder temps. I know we can find exceptions here and there between different oils or different family ... Even in the graphs that @OVERKILL posted, near freezing one of the 0W's has 442 cSt vs. 615 cSt for the 10W. Thats a %39 increase in viscosity at that temp. The viscosity gap will be even wider at colder temps (e.g. below freezing).

Anyways, I cornered my chemist co-worker today and he said that more viscous oils cause faster bearing temperature increases, etc. ... As far as warm up time differences between a 0W, 5W or 10W he agreed that a more viscous oil will result in quicker warm up but couldn't recall the exact impact. Maybe the impact is not that significant ... idk. but I got him curious enough to do some research. lol
I'll post if I hear back.

My observations: RPM makes the oil heat up. I know that because the oil pressure goes down. 15W40 takes longer to warm up than SAE 40 of the same KV100C.
It takes horsepower to drive the water temperature up.
That is why locomotives in the self-warm-up phase will load the generator and dissipate the electricity out the dynamic brake grids.
Revving those engines up from 250 RPM to 1050 RPM changes the coolant temperature very little.

Back