FA-4?

Messages
1,332
Location
oh
Thread starter
Just bought my wife a '19 F150 with the 3.0 PowerStroke. What is everyone using for a FA-4 spec lube in an engine that specs it? I'm on the fence as to just use CK-4 10w-30 or try the FA-4, the truck only has 500 mi. , so an OC is months away, just inquiring for future reference. Thanks.
 
Messages
1,561
Location
Americus, GA
You are probably going to be stuck using Motorcraft, Phillips 66 or Kendall products. The engine is relatively new and oil companies are slow to respond to new FA-4 specifications. Stay with the FA-4 oils. They have been formulated for improved fuel economy and use with catalysts and or diesel particulate filters. I know, it doesn't sound fair. But, I'm dealing with a similar problem with my 2019 VW Tiguan.
 
Messages
976
Location
Pa, USA
Originally Posted by MParr
You are probably going to be stuck using Motorcraft, Phillips 66 or Kendall products. The engine is relatively new and oil companies are slow to respond to new FA-4 specifications. Stay with the FA-4 oils. They have been formulated for improved fuel economy and use with catalysts and or diesel particulate filters. I know, it doesn't sound fair. But, I'm dealing with a similar problem with my 2019 VW Tiguan.
Is VW allowing the use of FA-4 oils?
 
Messages
976
Location
Pa, USA
Stick with an FA-4 oil, if that what Ford is requiring. Interesting that they are using the FA-4 specs. for that engine. Pretty much, any newer light duty diesels in the US there oils all have there own unique specs. that is not shared with anything else and there for hard to source. You be lucky to be able to be able to walk into a store and buy the required oil and them you may have have only 1 or 2 choices where everyone may have 50.
 
Messages
1,332
Location
oh
Thread starter
The FA-4 spec lube isnt that hard to find, at least in my locale as OTR trucks are using it. My inquiry was if anyone had any experience with it, is it going to be worth using vs a CK-4 spec 10w-30, which by the way isn't even listed in OM as an option. Owners manual lists CK-4 5w-40 & 0w-40 FA-4 5w-30 & 10w-30 with the 5w-30 being "preferred" With the recommendations above I'm going out on a limb here saying the MotorCraft FA-4 along with the Phillips and Kendall offerings are going to be the same, or very similar. I'm not opposed to using a FA-4 lube, just curious if the added expense could ever pay with increased fuel economy.
 
Messages
976
Location
Pa, USA
Originally Posted by roadrunner1
The FA-4 spec lube isnt that hard to find, at least in my locale as OTR trucks are using it. My inquiry was if anyone had any experience with it, is it going to be worth using vs a CK-4 spec 10w-30, which by the way isn't even listed in OM as an option. Owners manual lists CK-4 5w-40 & 0w-40 FA-4 5w-30 & 10w-30 with the 5w-30 being "preferred" With the recommendations above I'm going out on a limb here saying the MotorCraft FA-4 along with the Phillips and Kendall offerings are going to be the same, or very similar. I'm not opposed to using a FA-4 lube, just curious if the added expense could ever pay with increased fuel economy.
Don't know if it would. That is really wired that they allow some CK-4 oils. But since they didn't go higher in the CK-4 winter weight, its probably not a good idea to use CK-4.
 
Messages
1,561
Location
Americus, GA
The FA-4 spec isn't just about increasing fuel economy. It's also for keeping your emission system components in top shape (lower SAPs).
 
Messages
1,238
Location
upstate NY
Originally Posted by MParr
The FA-4 spec isn't just about increasing fuel economy. It's also for keeping your emission system components in top shape (lower SAPs).
FA-4 is strictly for increased fuel economy. There's no difference in SAPS. A FA-4 HDEO will still be allowed 1% sulfated ash just like CK-4 oils. The FA-4 oils are going to have HTHS viscosity around 3.0 to 3.1 while CK-4 oils need to be at least 3.5 HTHSV.
 
Messages
1,332
Location
oh
Thread starter
I have opted for the MotorCraft branded 10w-30 FA-4 and have a case on hand when IOLM trips, the truck has only 1,500 mi. currently. The 10w-30 was half the price vs. 5w-30 FA-4, with the 10w-30 being a blend and the 5w-30 being full syn. We really don't get cold enough here to justify a 5w-30 per specs in owners manual. I did find Kendall Super D FE, which should be the same or very close to the MotorCraft and it was priced almost identical.
 
Messages
1,332
Location
oh
Thread starter
I will go until the IOLM trips a change oil now, I have no idea how many miles that will be but guessing the trucks driving routine 7,500 mi-10,000 mi.
 
Top