3. Aston Martin Red Bull Racing, 107
4. Renault Sport F1, 46
5. McLaren Renault, 40
6. Force India, 26
7. Toro Rosso, 19
8. Haas, 19
9. Alfa Romeo Sauber, 11
10. Williams Martini Racing, 4

For more, including track data, analysis, and video please check out my full post on TOV Motorsports.

3589ecd5592f7b7253b0f728af0caaa5.jpg

I finally caught up to the latest changes in the engines. For anyone who got as far behind as me, they are 1.6 liter V-6’s with a single turbo and a rev limit of 15,000 rpm. I understand they have a hybrid aspect to them and fuel consumption is down by 35 percent as they recover energy in the hair pin turns. I would use Canadian Tire Formula 1 Full Synthetic in a 0W20 in honour of the Canadian Grand Prix.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I would use Canadian Tire Formula 1 Full Synthetic in a 0W20 in honour of the Canadian Grand Prix.
laugh.gif

I reckon that'd be a bit heavy.

Read here for a possible explanation as to why the grid walks seemed more disjointed than before. Let's see how it goes from Canada onwards, with drivers having to spend an extra ten minutes on the grid for media access.

There's one thing to remember, though. Alonso's ability to predict a winner in F1 hasn't extended to him being able to predict which team to join, ever. The only chance he's had in the past 10 years is his current ride in WEC, where he's on the only LMP1 works team, so it's virtually impossible for him to fail completely.

It seems to me that without Flavio leading him around by the nose, he's lost.

I like how they are showing the anthems before the race. Sky probably did it all along but we never saw them here except for the US Grand Prix.

The foundation has been laid for Alonzo to move to Indycar. I don't think you have to go out on a limb too far to say that's where he'll be in 2019.

I enjoy F1, but 90% of the time, after the first 4 or 5 corners, it becomes a snooze fest.

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
The foundation has been laid for Alonzo to move to Indycar. I don't think you have to go out on a limb too far to say that's where he'll be in 2019.

I enjoy F1, but 90% of the time, after the first 4 or 5 corners, it becomes a snooze fest.

Especially if Toyota holds it together long enough to win Le Mans this year.

The WEC shouldn't be a a challenge, and the team has already showed it will employ team orders to ensure the #8 car prevails.

That will leave the 500 on the list.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I like how they are showing the anthems before the race. Sky probably did it all along but we never saw them here except for the US Grand Prix.

Yes, that's been the norm for some time, even when we had BBC coverage.

The real question is if he can live up to his history of joining the worst possible team. It was too bad to see him retire this weekend. Max kept his head down for a change, and it paid off. Stroll definitely knows how to start a race. It's a pity he can find any bit of bad luck that Fernando doesn't pick up beforehand. Hartley handed off another coffin nail to Dr. Marko, I suspect. I'd agree this was a racing incident, but it was a pretty foolish thing to try in the first place. Getting past Stroll later down the road isn't too much of a challenge that you have to press your luck between him and a wall. Wait for his inevitable lockup or wide run, and you're away.

In any event was nice to see all the Sky guys (aside from those who actually have raced and don't have an apparent agenda, so that group excludes di Resta and is really only Rosberg, Hill, Herbert, and Brundle) and even the Motorsport group ignore Ferrari in general and Vettel in specific and wind up looking clueless again.

Martin Brundle put it best near the end of the race when he told Crofty that Vettel wiped the floor with the entire field. Speaking of the race end, that flag bit was a fiasco.

Regarding the flag incident some poor FIA bureaucrat will probably be found dead at his desk Monday morning over such a disastrous infringement of the rules/procedure/etiquette. They've always struck me as the type who want to have all the deck chairs looking neat as the ship goes under and THIS (or should I say, Zeese), can not happen. Sacre bleu! It is a dangerous thing to have happen but I comfort myself with the thought that there will be one less FIA guy. The ensuing investigations, meetings results and profound statements will then mercifully be a little slower to arrive as the remaining staff, having found a new reason to live, plan a proper funeral.

Isn't it the ultimate responsibility of Charlie Whiting to direct whomever is the wave the chequered flag? I suppose I could check the rules to be sure, but as race director, I would think it would be his. Did someone roust him from his nap too suddenly and he thought he overslept?
wink.gif

I missed the end. And the flag. Actually fell asleep about 3/4 of the way through. Along with Whiting, I guess. And I used to go to the Canadian GP back in the 1990's. It has become way too predictable, after the first few laps. Still think doing away with in refueling during the race was a mistake. The revamp of F1 can't come fast enough for me. The Ferrari of Seb sure looked fast. Merc appeared to be on it's back foot with HAM, with overheating issues and saving the PU.

Did this whole flag waving issue result because of another "celebrity" being chosen to wave it, who didn't have a clue? (I believe it was some black "supermodel"). I too fell asleep and woke up just after it happened. It seems to be getting easier to do that during these F-1 races lately.

Her name is Winnie Harlow, she is a model. After the race it was stated that it wasn't her fault - she was told when to wave it and she did. Possibly a misunderstanding/miscommunication, although I didn't see anybody rushing to stop her.

Alternatively she was just trying to end the whole thing early and maybe add a bit of excitement.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Did this whole flag waving issue result because of another "celebrity" being chosen to wave it, who didn't have a clue?

FIA said it was the fault of race control, with them telling her to wave it. In other words, as I mentioned, Charlie was sleeping, someone woke him up too suddenly, and he was startled and told someone to wave the flag.

I don't know how that happened. They have every bit of live footage they supply to Sky plus every other thing we don't get to see. I knew what lap it was, every racer except Kimi knew what lap it was, but race control didn't? Can someone please give Charlie a thermos of coffee at the start of each race?

Now, with the celebrity flag waving thing, I'm not totally in favour of it, particularly with someone who cares nothing for racing. How about a celebrity that actually enjoys races or is involved in some other racing? Having Alonso involved in flag waving at Le Mans a couple years or so ago is fine. How about a retired or current NASCAR or Indy or WEC or rally or MotoGP driver, depending upon schedule and location? They want cross promotion? Do that. How about Michael Douglas, who was actually there for the race? How about Rowan Atkinson, who goes to the races and actually does gentleman racing? They could have had Ron Howard do it a few years back when he filmed Rush and was hanging with Niki for many races.

As for a model who can't identify anyone on the grid except for Lewis, I don't think so. She's a "Canadian model," but I'd be surprised if she could pick Lance Stroll, let alone Jacques Villeneuve, out of a crowd.

Originally Posted By: Garak

The real question is if he can live up to his history of joining the worst possible team.

McLaren's foray into IndyCar is mainly a vehicle to keep him interested.

They'd be partnering with another team, at least initially, and I doubt they'd hook up with someone like, say, Harding.

Given Brown's ties to AA via both McL and UA, the odds are it will be them, or someone of that caliber is the target.

One might ask why they'd be so attached to him, given their results aren't that great even with him driving, when they could just blow the whole thing up and try a clean slate, but I guess there's a mutual need there.

The team is running out of excuses, so if it were me, I'd blow it up, since there is little to lose anyway. It dug itself out of a dark period when it had to run Peugeots and customer Fords, but for whatever reason, I just don't have the same confidence it will return to glory this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back