Exterior plastic protectant recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Looking for something that holds up in the SW sun/heat. Lots of textured black plastic that gets dull and weird looking. Been using a Turtle Wax product that does OK but looking for better. Glossy or matt look doesn't matter.

Failed at searching. TIA

https://www.autogeek.net/gtechniq-c4-trim-restorer

Best stuff I have ever used. Yes, it is more expensive initially, but, you don't have to apply it monthly.

Our dad's 2006 Tundra is outside 24/7. The plastic trim was starting to fade, I applied different plastic protectants over the last couple to try and help it from fading further. Tried 303, Optimum Opti-bond, and Optimum Opti-coat tire dressing and protectant, and Blackfire trim and tire protectant. Our dad asked to look for something different, something that would last for more than a month.
All the ones I had tried worked well until it rained. The rain started washing the protectants off. After about a month, the trim looked as if I hadn't applied anything.

Gave this stuff a try. I was hoping it would be good, I was surprised just how good it is. Not only did it restore the color well, the restored look has lasted for over two months now even after multiple rains. It doesn't wash off, and it is standing up the 90 degree heat we have been having.

The key is that the plastic needs to be CLEAN, so, the product can bond properly. If you prep carefully first, I think you would be impressed with the product. I am.

Last edited:
paint

Ive tried
back to black..... eeehhh
meguiars ultimate ..... eeehhh
ture dressng. ..... eehhh
peanut butter...... eehhh
i have some wipe new in the garage but havent tried it yet.

they all work but only temporarily.

either reapply about once a month or paint them.

We are talking exterior, right? I've had good results with ArmorAll Extreme Tire Shine gel in the orange bottle. My Tahoe has a plastic grey grill and that stuff lasts a very long time. I usually wait for a hot day to slather it on.

Last edited:
I just use the cheapest silicone spray lubricant I can find and it seems to be as effective as anything else that is "specialized". I spray it on the rag so as to not get over-spray on the paint and after I wax.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Will check out that Gtechniq product, thanks.

If it's anything like one of their other products I think you'll like it. I tried their version of Iron remover for rail dust and it has been the best one I've tried. Plus the least expensive among the other options I've tried. Last year I tried Back to Black and didn't last long at all. Plus it was very sticky so all the junk floating in the air would stick to it.

I used Wipe New on the faded trim on the Clubman; it worked great and has held up very well. I use 303 on plastic that is still in reasonably good shape.

The Gtechniq product is SiO2 based and it provides uv protection. It's a good product.

Another one would be Gyeon Preserve or their trim coating.

Originally Posted by MCompact
I used Wipe New on the faded trim on the Clubman; it worked great and has held up very well.

I like the price point and easily available at WM. Prob what I will go with next since the Matrix needs it not only on the cowl but the front grille as well. Which will be part of my extensive annual detail in a week or so. Plus I have to stock up on other products like a clay mit/towel and some more Iron remover.

I use this with good results.

[Linked Image]

#4858787 is my post about Magic Eraser by Mr. Clean. Not sure how "textured" your plastic is, mine is smooth. Still looks good 1 year later.

#4858787 is my post about Magic Eraser by Mr. Clean. Not sure how "textured" your plastic is, mine is smooth. Still looks good 1 year later.

"I did some more looking around on the Tacoma Forums and found Magic Eraser pads by Mr. Clean-$4 for a box of 4 at Lowes and everywhere else I guess. They are made in Germany and no chemicals are listed. Evidently they are a micro-abrasive sponge, it feels like you are wasting your time rubbing (like 6000 grit paper)-BUT, best results I've ever gotten on my black flares. Spent around 10 minutes on each one. I cleaned them with some Dawn first. There was some banter on the ol interweb about Formaldehyde, but it seems to be in the manufacture, not the cleaning agent. It's raining steady for days here (like it did a year ago with Harvey), so pics are under a green carport. I also hit it some Son of a Gun too see if it would mess it up but it looks good, and added some protection."

Tacoma Magic Eraser2.JPG

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Looking for something that holds up in the SW sun/heat. Lots of textured black plastic that gets dull and weird looking. Been using a Turtle Wax product that does OK but looking for better. Glossy or matt look doesn't matter.

Failed at searching. TIA

I've been using Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant for some time now with good results.

A regular use of a good spray wax works the best in my experience. "Protectants" seem to streak,make the plastics turn white and chalky,and cause dry rot. 303 was the worst product I'd ever used. I ditched the protectants and started using spray wax. Nano Wax was my past favorite,but they changed something in the formula and it doesn't work as good as it used to. Turtle Wax Wax and Dry spray wax is my current favorite. Leaves the black plastic looking brand new.

As for protectants,the old Formula 2001 was my all time favorite. Never caused streaking,chalkiness,or dry rot. It's a shame they don't make it any more.

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
I use 303 aerospace protectant.

ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by double vanos
Stoner Trim Shine.

I've heard of that stuff... it's made by this 👇 guy right?...‚
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back