Extension cords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy good quality and you'll have a good reason to take better care of them.

I bought a Retractable Extension Cord that I mounted inside my garage.
Saves a lot of time not having to wind them up.

[Linked Image]

For a generator, consider installing a Transfer Switch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Just low currant things. The power company was working in our area yesterday and the power was off all day.I wanted to plug in my refrigerator amd Microwave (3 wire plugs) into my generator but couldn't.

Those might be low current but they are high amperage. I would go with a heavy duty wire on that.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Have been using harbor freight cords with 20%off coupon have been happy.

Do check china cords with magnet. Occasionally they use copper plated steel. I have not had one in a few years now.

Rod

Magnet won't tell you if it's the more common issue, copper plated aluminum. Those can be used in fixed positions if you use a larger, lower gauge # to carry the same current, but really shouldn't be moved around much especially in low temperatures. I won't buy a cord that doesn't state all copper, and wouldn't trust that statement from a random generic on ebay or Amazon.

Even if the Harbor Freight cords are all copper I would still have concerns about the ends and insulation quality. Most cords I've retired over the years were due to insulation cracking, especially if stored where any sunlight (UV) could get to them... need not be direct sunlight to make a low grade vinyl cord brittle.

One thing to consider with grounded cords vs two wire cords is that the two wire often don't have an additional insulation layer over those two wires. Like Cu clad aluminum, they are best left stationary. Lacking an outer insulation is not a rule, but often the two wire cords are only two to make them less expensive and lacking outer insulation does this.

Keep in mind that wire is a commodity. If you find a cord much cheaper than the competition, there's usually a reason for that. At the same time if you buy some marketing by a fancy brand you can pay too much for that.

I'd at least get a 100', 12ga cord. The length and little extra current capacity over higher gauges will make it the most usable for various things. Add additional cords of different lengths and gauges as needed.

For your fridge and microwave, I'd get the shortest cord you can get away with then choose gauge based on length. Those are not low current appliances. There are plenty of guides out there for what gauge you need for a specific load and length.

DAVE9 hit it on the head. The cheaper cord use CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum.) Just like those cheap amplifier wiring kits for cars. As long as the ratings are not exceeded for the gauge size, it should be fine, but I wouldn't run a 50ft CCA extension cord for a table saw.

Originally Posted by EdwardC
This was a while back now, but I purchased a couple two packs of 50' 12awg extension cables from Costco that were made in the USA that were really well priced.

I just bought that "2-pack" for $39 at Costco
You won't find NICE copper, 12 gauge 50" cords for $20 anywhere else.

The harbor freight 50' 14 gauge are nice for $16 with a coupon.
I don't use a 16 gauge cord for ANYTHING except lights at Christmas.

Antique radio people have noticed replacement power cords coming from China use very small gauge copper inside the thick insulation, compared with the old cords that have thick-gauge copper.

Originally Posted by EdwardC
Just low currant things. The power company was working in our area yesterday and the power was off all day.I wanted to plug in my refrigerator amd Microwave (3 wire plugs) into my generator but couldn't.

I'd argue that those are both fairly high current devices, I'd go 12 gauge in the 50'-100' range.

You should use a long extension cord with a generator. It should be far from house to prevent CO entering your house.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Those might be low current but they are high amperage. I would go with a heavy duty wire on that.

Since the voltage source is "fixed" (except for sag) doesn't high current = high amperage? or maybe I should say Isn't the Amp the unit measure of Current?

I thought a microwave draws about as much as you can get off a 15A breaker

Anyway, I am sure we agree that for Chris142 situation, the microwave and fridge are high power draw devices.

Just read the label on the back of the device and add the wattage. At least they both cycle on and off its not a constant draw.

aside: My kitchen has a high currant jelly draw. Not from me for sure - having an aversion to fruity-sugary things - it's the other inhabitants.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by E150GT
I bought a 12 gauge 100' extension cord thinking bigger was better. Man that thing is a bear to haul around. I should have gotten a 14 gauge.
Yep. Those 10/12s get pretty heavy when they are over 30 feet long. Everyone saying go thicker hasn't had to carry one of those very far, let alone wrap one up. Those are really only necessary for high amp tools that you know will see large loads, like a table saw or killsaw or if if is a power tap that is going to have other extension cords running off of it. I had a 60ft DIY 10 gauge and it was almost too heavy to be useful, but running it over with the snowblower took care of that.

Illuminated female end is pretty much necessary, it's only a few bucks more.

EDIT: The DIY ones with the thick black rubbery insulation are the best, the ends on the store bought ones suck and the insulation is far too stiff to be useful in cold temperatures. They also have a memory that is a pain if you want it to lie flat after being wrapped up. My dad has some DIY ones that are 30+ years old with only the ends changed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
You should use a long extension cord with a generator. It should be far from house to prevent CO entering your house.
Yep. Had it on my porch yesterday though. Had 40mph wind and had it downwind from the house,

I ASSumed that a frige or microwave would be low draw. My compressor and well pump pull huge amounts of currant compared to those. The fridge only pulls 350w and I can run it with my 2stroke harbor freight generator.

Extension cords are expensive and I think it's mostly because you're paying for copper. Find them on sale or use a coupon from your preferred store. Not sure if you can find them that aren't made in China either....

Originally Posted by E150GT
I bought a 12 gauge 100' extension cord thinking bigger was better.
Depending on what you're powering and if you are 75-100' away from the outlet, you might need that 12-gauge after all.

If you live in tweeker heaven (and it sounds like you do) an expensive extension cord is unbelievably, magnetically attractive to them.

A 14 gauge 50 footer is about the best compromise in price vs performance. 14 gauge can carry 15 amps, the most any one thing will draw without a special funny looking plug.

This has worked well for me at the shop, its very stiff at first, but gets more flexible over time. I use a Wonder winder and it was really tough reeling it back in at first. We normally use it for either the battery charger, which can probably pull 15 amps when its full blast 80a 12v charging, and the AC recovery machine.
https://www.harborfreight.com/50-ft...ion-cord-with-indicator-light-62903.html
wonder winder

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200610485_200610485?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Electrical%20%3E%20Cord%20Reels&utm_campaign=Northern%20Tool%20and%20Equipment&utm_content=28107&gclid=CjwKCAjw3azoBRAXEiwA-_64Oszm8dStv4S7qojqKICz3yH63m5euWgLjOkubvuj0XLhHs7IPWFopBoCbqgQAvD_BwE

Menards or Fleet Farm. Both places have the Southwire brand, made in USA. I would bet they will be half off at one or both places for July 4 sale.

Couple of things, one use a GFI for outside use and when rewinding lay the cord out straight and rewind with large loops to minimize stress on the conductor. Also the more the voltage drop due to load on undersized conductors the more the stress on synchronous motors trying to keep up with the 60 cycle current.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
Menards or Fleet Farm. Both places have the Southwire brand, made in USA. I would bet they will be half off at one or both places for July 4 sale.

None near me
frown.gif
. I was just at tractor supply and their extension cords are 24k gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back