Excessive battery terminal corrosion

looks like that one even got to some wiring harnesses!
no excuses for letting things get that bad unless one never opens the hood.
and thats an expensive way to treat anything!
local new car dealer loves folks like that.
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
6ths9gk3ggvz.jpg

The only solution short of periodic cleaning is a new battery if you are getting corrosion. Most common US made batteries are junk.

Originally Posted by E150GT
My dads motorcraft battery is doing the same thing but he won�t buy a new one. He�s gonna have to deal with bad terminals sooner or later.

NOCO anti-corrosion kit at Walmart for $3.97. Contains the felt washers and the anti-corrosion treatment. For $2.97 they have NOCO battery cleaner. I was having to clean the positive post every few months with the Rural King battery made by Exide back in 10/2012($55). The felt washers really helped keep the corrosion build-up at bay.

Just replaced it last week. Not because it failed but didn't want to push my luck and my mechanic advised replacing it since it had a strong scent of battery acid. Some other place mentioned it too. I didn't want to wait for it to fail and get stranded. The previous week the battery in my mom's 2012 Camry failed at years which was made by JCI.

Mechanic suggested a $90 Bosch battery but found out those are made by Exide. Found an East Penn made Value Power at WM that had a manufacture date of 1/19. Looks like more and more Walmarts are now carrying the EP made batteries. Even ones that weren't on the list that EP emailed me. There was a lot of corrosion from leaked battery acid under the battery. So cleaned all that up and sprayed it with the anti-corrosion spray. Had to use the shop vac as the first step in the cleaning process. Which tells you how bad it was. I will avoid Exide even though it kept starting the car adequately esp since I never charged it. Just filled it up with distilled water once and kept terminals clean was the only maintenance done to it.

I did charge up both new EP made Value Powers which the charger said were at 90%. Didn't take long for the 3 amp charger to power them all the way up. Plugged and replugged the charger several times after it said it was charged.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
[Linked Image]

Seems like the dead short kind of ion transfer instead of corrosion.

I recently discovered this science experiment on my mom's 2014 Fusion. I had already taken the nut off the negative terminal. I was able to get a new negative terminal for around $10 from Ford so I didn't waste time and energy cleaning up the mess. Also but in a new battery since hers would randomly crank slow and I didn't want a phone call from her. O and I replaced the battery with a Motorcraft BAGM-48H6-760 which fit right in the tray like it was made for it.

IMG_2199.jpg

Last edited:
I spray Amsoil HD Metal Protector on the clean battery terminals. No corrosion problems. 20 years ago, I used Vaseline.

I uses the NOCO kit from walmart too old reliable it is just an oil soaked felt washer and an oily spray you spray on the terminals. Mine stays clean. I would never let that crud build up like that. Plus I think the Duracell battery by East Penn I am using now is a lot cleaner bought it in the spring and no buildup at all.

I have also said, "I can't believe that - it would never happen to me...!"
Then it happened to me. Post wiggled out of top of battery and acid created a ‘mushroom' of corrosion over the terminal.
It happened rather quickly. Car started just fine. Everstart MAXX (JCI) was replaced under warranty.
I was surprised what little case material was holding the press-fit Battery post in place.
Car is 13 year old Accord. The wiring setup is such that it does not pull on the posts - so puzzled.

Originally Posted by ffhdriver
I don't understand why someone would let the battery get to this state without cleaning off the corrosion.

I find it odd that it could start, my guess is it couldn't and is a result of something sitting a long time

Originally Posted by SHOZ
The only solution short of periodic cleaning is a new battery if you are getting corrosion. Most common US made batteries are junk.

Well East Penn batteries do not have any where near the issue with this like JC flooded batteries. EP batteries are very well put together.

And Northstar batteries are made here in the US are great. Though very pricey.

Some pictures of terrible Corrosion in this thread, serous vehicle neglect no doubt. As long as it starts, many just keep on driving, until problems are evident.

My recent incident was on a 2.5 year old Honda CR-V. I was gone, the wife had battery troubles. I talked her through some troubleshooting, excessive Corrosion on the positive post was soon evident. This was no where near as bad as the pictures, much more than one expects with a newer vehicle. It didn't help that the terminal was covered by a plastic shield.

Anyway, I replaced the battery, then went heavy with terminal post protection, aircraft grade Corrosion protection. I'll now be checking the post routinely.

Scrape it off, pour on some baking soda paste, then rinse after a 5 minutes. Try a felt washer. If the alternator is not overcharging, then your battery is a leaker. Either keep cleaning it or replace with AGM.

Back