Excessive battery terminal corrosion

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
6ths9gk3ggvz.jpg

We have a Winner!

What else can you recommend? I tried the anti-corrosive spray and I believe it's worse than before. Your opinion please.

Until you can keep the acid from escaping all you can do is keep it clean and coat the metal.

The best cleaner for this is some liquid sudsy ammonia.

I'd say that battery is overfilled or being over charged.

Pretty colors though!

Don't waste the battery terminal cleaner on that mess and use a mix of hot water and baking soda first to remove the majority of the corrosion first.

Don't think my son's battery got that bad...

Before:

After:

After was still charging.

I did take a wire brush to the hold down and then paint it. The after picture was after a couple of hours of charging. I let the paint dry for 2 hours and I let it charge a bit more as the newest battery Wal*Mart had was, as you see, 9/17.

I failed to get a photo before I removed it, but you can see the residue on the old battery that is indicative of the state. I believe it was ~5 years old when removed.

I JUST PAINT THE TERMINALS RED AND BLACK AFTER INSTALLATION TO COVER THE RAW LEAD. THEN NO CORROSION CAN TAKE PLACE.

I grease the terminal post and then smear the clamps with whatever I have on hand. A old trick I learned at the dealership.

My parent's van even with a PCM-controlled alternator will cause batteries to outgas and spray out acid mist - Toyota was starting to phase that in. That van gets a quick spray and hose down every year. It's seen only Costco batteries, the OEM one was replaced by a group 35 Kirkland and then with a 24F.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Piston_slap
What else can you recommend? I tried the anti-corrosive spray and I believe it's worse than before. Your opinion please.

ROFL!

Um. Wow. New battery and new cables pronto. Pull that battery and wash everything down with a baking soda solution. Check the voltage regulator because that battery is gassing like crazy and it’s probably from over-volting

Back