Evinrude XD100 oil

Does anyone know the spec on this stuff and who really makes it? The pricing is outrageous so there HAS to be a manufacturer that makes oil that beats this spec for WAY cheaper.

Originally Posted by Donald
There was some odd gear oil for Evinrude outboards with push-button electric shift. Is that what this is?

This is 2 cycle oil for there etec outboards

Originally Posted by FlyingTexan
Does anyone know the spec on this stuff and who really makes it? The pricing is outrageous so there HAS to be a manufacturer that makes oil that beats this spec for WAY cheaper.

I'd like to know, too. Daughter and Son-In-Law have a 115 HO E Tec Evinrude. 2 stroke oil is a considerable part of their running costs. If you use this fancy oil, a person can trim back on the oil injection rate... and still stay within warranty.

Originally Posted by repairman54
Just use a quality full synthetic injection oil. That's what we run in Etec snowmobiles same technology.

The etec does a 100 to 1 at full synthetic. Amsoil and the Evinrude XD100 are all I know that can run that. Do you know of anything that's quality that can match it? Right now I'm thinking of running Walmart's TC-W3 for $15 a bottle at 50-1 ratio. I'd buy a 55 barrel drum if I could find something $10/gal

Cheap oil and expensive outboards.
Buy a four stroke or with a high tech engine like Etec pay for good oil.
Buy a old school two stroke and run the cheap stuff. Etec oils where I`m at can only be found at the dealer,
Loved the motor but next if I ever buy another I`d look at a fourstroke for that reason.
No perfect engine.
Pay the price it`s a great motor but is big bucks if it fails.
Run good oil.
Amsoil is the only other oil that claims to be compatible with Etec oil. Their claim.
Maybe I`m wrong?

Last edited:
I would love to know what the special sauce is with this oil, been wondering for years. Is there any VOA for this oil?

I love my etec. I run it on the lean setting and it uses so little oil the cost of it isn't worth consideration. Id love to know who makes that magic xd100 though. I am told tohatsu synthetic is the same as xd100.

I just had an ETEC 115 HO repower on my center console quoted yesterday. Dash, binnacle, turn key. $15,000 out the door. I think if I go this route I will also go for the good oil and the lower setting.

I don`t know what additives are in the Evinrude XD100 oil.
The oil smells like ammonia. very thin in viscosity.
I had an Etec 115 it`s a great motor. I don`t think Id use anything but what BRP recomends.
It`s a dealer only item where I live. That was a pain.
I kept my engine at the factory 50:1 setting and paid the price for XD100.
New the motor drank oil after the first 20 hours it was good.
Since I sold the boat I bought a smaller used boat with a 50 Mercury four stroke. have yet to try it out.
The Evinrude Etec was a great experience for me. I`d buy another Etec again.
Too bad the XD100 isn`t on more shelves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Warlord
I am told tohatsu synthetic is the same as xd100.

I haven't been told that but I believe it to be true; I've used both in my TLDI and they look and smell exactly the same. It's a pretty distinct smell.

My understanding is that XD100 means 100% synthetic. XD50 is a synthetic blend. The Evinrude/Johnson TCW3 oil is conventional base. The XD100 seeting on the ETEC engine does not mean the engine is running a 100:1 ratio, but rather the engine is set to consume the XD100 oil.

Originally Posted by ChadHubbard
My understanding is that XD100 means 100% synthetic. XD50 is a synthetic blend. The Evinrude/Johnson TCW3 oil is conventional base. The XD100 seeting on the ETEC engine does not mean the engine is running a 100:1 ratio, but rather the engine is set to consume the XD100 oil.

Yep. Like all injected engines the amount of oil can vary significantly.

On the ETEC engines the engine management computer can be programmed for XD100 and will reduce the amount of oil consumed if set so. I'm not sure about other DFI engines but my TLDI doesn't have such a setting; the oil consumed is proportional to the throttle via a link arm and using the full synthetic (XD100 or Tohatsu Complete Advantage, which I believe are the same) is optional but not required.

Originally Posted by whofan
The oil smells like ammonia. very thin in viscosity.

I used HPS synthetic at 100:1 back in the 80's on jet skis, dirt bikes, and three wheelers. (Not the Royal Purple HPS oil, HPS was the name of the company) Absolutely fantastic stuff. No smoke, no fouled plugs ever, much better throttle response and more power (seat of pants dyno). It too smelled like ammonia, and burned your skin similar to battery acid if you got any on you and didn't wash it off real good. Sadly, they went out of business, but I had enough stock in my garage to last years.

Last edited:
So have we figured out yet what equivalent oils there are to XD100?

I'm just curious. I hadn't topped off my 40hp Etec in 2 years, so when readying it in April for boating season, I picked up 2 quarts of XD100 (for which it is set) and it was only down maybe 1/6 of a tank. This thing just barely sips oil, same as it does fuel. So the nearly 2 quarts of oil I have now will last a long, long time.

Back