Evinrude / OMC GALLON 777189 Engine Tuner

I purchased a gallon of Evinrude Engine Tuner, part number 777189. It is a honey colored liquid. I intended to add it to my fuel / oil premix. The label on the back of the gallon container says not to leave it in the engine. I can not add this to my built in 50 gal fuel tank if the mix can not stay in the engine. The engine is a 1997 Evinrude 115 Ocean Pro. It has been converted from VRO to pre-mix. The engine is on an 18' center console (Ranger) boat. I have read every topic I can google, but nothing found on how to use this liquid tuner. If it needs to be sprayed into the carbs, what sort of sprayer would I need?

Has anyone used the liquid/gallon Engine Tuner, if so, how? Again, this is not the aersol cans, but a gallon of liquid. Lots of discussion available o the OMC engine tuner aerosol cans and Sea Foam. I am seeking any experiences with the liquid. How did you use it, how did you get in into the egine. I am considering the Sea Foam method - add 16-20 oz of the tuner, 4 oz of oil and fill a 1 gallon jug. Run this through the engine on the lake, let is set for 30 minutes, then reconnect the main tank and run the egine.

I posted this on iboats.com and have not had much response from people who have actually used this. Sorry if you saw this post there.

thanks for any input.

Directions specifically says NOT to be mixed with oil. Seems like you need a sprayer of some sort. Directions for aerosol:

How to Use Johnson/Evinrude Engine Tuner
Remove propeller.
Run motor to normal operating temperature - Never Run Motor Without Cooling Water.
Set motor at fast idle (about 1200 RPM).
Spray can contents into carburetor throat(s).
Do not let motor stall until can is empty.
When can is empty, turn off motor and let soak for 3 to 16 hours.
Restart motor and run at fast idle (1500 RPM) for at least 15 minutes.

Thanks. Do not mix with oil is spooky. I can find a way to introduce it into the carbs, but their is oil alrady mixed into the fuel, so it will mix with oil in the carbs and be introduced into the cylinders. Am i overthinking this?

I had a 90 Evinrude, model year 1996, never changed from the VRO as it seemed to work well. Always started up, had to start flushing with salt-away on a regular basis after a few years of minimal flushing to keep the cooling passages clear. As far as I know the engine is still being used today. Those engines seemed to be very reliable.

That oil tuner stuff sounds scary, is there a reason why you think you engine needs it?

I think all 2 stroke outboards need to be decarboned accassionally. I did not do mine for a few years and it started smoking unbelievably. I decarboned it in the driveway, black goo coming out of the exhaust made about a 3' stain on the drive. Motor ran better and smoked 'normally'. I purchased this thinking I could use it like Ring Free, put it in the tank and decarboning would be done.

Originally Posted by ChadHubbard
Thanks. Do not mix with oil is spooky. I can find a way to introduce it into the carbs, but their is oil alrady mixed into the fuel, so it will mix with oil in the carbs and be introduced into the cylinders. Am i overthinking this?

Well the aerosol spray goes into the carbs with the engine running for both 2 & 4 stroke engines. I believe what they are saying is not to pour it into premix fuel .

Back