Everyone likes valvetrain pics and what is this crosshatch?

Changing the valve cover gasket, so I thought I would take some pics. 2011 Hyundai Elantra Toruing 2.0 litre, 172,000 miles. The cam lobes have some odd [new to me] crosshatch pattern on them. Both sides of the lobes. OCI 7,500 to 5,000 miles with store brand 5W30 synthetic. Not many short trips.

Attachments

• SDC10311.JPG
    SDC10311.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 307
  • SDC10312.JPG
    SDC10312.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 283
  • SDC10316.JPG
    SDC10316.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 288
  • SDC10319.JPG
    SDC10319.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 272
  • SDC10319a.JPG
    SDC10319a.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 272
Looks perfect 👌
Those look like normal machining marks, nothing to worry about

I believe this is a 2.0 Beta II (MPI)
Seems this is back when Hyundai knew how to make an engine that lasts

Changing the valve cover gasket, so I thought I would take some pics. 2011 Hyundai Elantra Toruing 2.0 litre, 172,000 miles. The cam lobes have some odd [new to me] crosshatch pattern on them. Both sides of the lobes. OCI 7,500 to 5,000 miles with store brand 5W30 synthetic. Not many short trips.
Cool photos !

I had a 2012 Elantra Touring, for my job. 64.5 cubic feet of cargo area. This is the old Kia Sephia engine...very durable. I put 300k miles on mine.

Keep your Hyundai forever, friend. It looks sweet under the valve cover.

Bought this car 5 years ago on the cheap side. Looked like it had been abused. I repaired a few minor things like a ball joint and hood latch. Put tires on it. Time goes by and I was going to dump it until I looked at the price of a good used car. I'm putting about $2k into it and hope to get another couple of years out of it. One problem is I think the clutch is original [works fine] and I don't want to do that. Once I finish the repairs I'm doing, if I don't like it, I can sell it and get my money back.

As for the cams, I don't know what's going on but you can't argue with success. Engine runs fine and I don't see any sign of it slowing down. I've never seen anything like that on a cam lobe. All of them have those marks.

Bought this car 5 years ago on the cheap side. Looked like it had been abused. I repaired a few minor things like a ball joint and hood latch. Put tires on it. Time goes by and I was going to dump it until I looked at the price of a good used car. I'm putting about $2k into it and hope to get another couple of years out of it. One problem is I think the clutch is original [works fine] and I don't want to do that. Once I finish the repairs I'm doing, if I don't like it, I can sell it and get my money back.

As for the cams, I don't know what's going on but you can't argue with success. Engine runs fine and I don't see any sign of it slowing down. I've never seen anything like that on a cam lobe. All of them have those marks.
I’ve seen somewhat similar looking marks come off surface grinders if you don’t get the speeds and feeds set properly, kind of a chatter like phenomenon.

Oh it's a MT. Here I was worried about SP III ATF.
You probably want to use some highest quality gear oil, due to reputation.

It would not be a bad idea to change the timing belt and associated hardware religiously on the 100s. At my 200k service, my mechanic showed me some markings on the old Idler Pulley that indicated it was going to fail pretty soon.

This vehicle would last someone on a hand down far more than two years.

Best of luck !

I would not say it rattles but it's not the quietest engine I've seen. The valves are supposed to be adjusted every? Never done as far as I know and I'm not likely to undertake that job. The cams drive directly onto the top of the valves via shims/buckets. Runs fine, I'm not worried about the valve train. It's just unusual looking.

My 2009 has 50k miles and sounds like rocks in a tin can. I am tempted to try the job. I think a special tool is required but not a lot of talent.

Back