Ever buy a stranger lunch ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently in Texas eating at a Denny's restaurant and I see two Flying J roadside assistance employees walk in and get a table. They are wearing dark blue coveralls with reflective yellow safety stripes. Both of their coveralls are dirty and greasy from changing blown tires on stranded 18 wheelers needing a tire replaced on the side of the highway.

I told my waitress to put their orders on my bill. When it came time to pay.... the waitress told them that someone had already paid for their breakfast and they thought she was kidding around.

Ever buy lunch for a stranger ?

I do respect hard working folks that do a difficult and dangerous job.

I did it a while ago when entering Cobb Bakery, there was a man asking for money and I said I won't give you money, but I'll buy you lunch.
Once inside he asked me, how much do you want to spend? I replied as much as necessary to have you sated. I thought it was sweet of this man to be concerned not to be
too heavy a financial burden on me.

Yep. A female soldier and her mother. I asked the bartender to let the waitress know I'm covering it, however do not indicate it was me. It's not about me, it's about the soldier.

Yes.
Homeless, or look that way.
If I see a Police Officer or 2 behind me in line at Starbucks, I throw a 5 or 10 for their coffee.
Military too.

Last edited:
I pay for homeless sometimes if when they are begging they agree to let me buy them food. Often they say no.

Have done this many times over the years for Military in uniform.

No, but I once had a street guy ask for money for bus fare. I thought he wanted the money to buy beer so I wouldn't give him any, but I gave him a bus ticket. (Bus tickets came in packs of 5).

Some friends were coming along behind me and later mentioned "the guy trying to sell a bus ticket".

Depends how cute she is
wink.gif

I go to the local pizzeria on a Friday to pick up a few pies ,salads and a calzone for home. There's a Korean war vet who reminds me of my dad I see occasionally there I pay his tab for his dinner. I enjoy sitting there and talking to him and his wife for a few minutes.

I will have my waiter/waitress pick up the tab for leo's, and veterans, and bring it to me . I pay for their meal anomamously especially if they are eating alone.

Last edited:
Nope can't say I have. I eat my lunch in or on the tailgate of my service truck usually miles from any eating establishments. I also never give any hand outs. This day and age if you want to work you are working.
One must take responsibility for your own life decisions. These people that I see begging in front of Walmart on the weekend need to get off their dead €%#'s and go get a job like the rest of us. I do donate heavily to the helpless homeless ASPCA and my local chapter. I just pray for the rest.

Not recently. I last time was a few years ago when we were eating at Denny's.
While we were about to leave, saw an older couple looking over their bill and counting coins. As we walked by, I tossed a $20 on their table and said have a good night.

I need to do it more often. I am more blessed now than I was then.

Way more likely to over tip staff … especially if it looks like a slow night coming to an end for the waitress

i did it at costco while getting a hot dog. there was an elderly man in front of me. he was getting a hot dog also and his card would not work. he tried a couple of times and still did not work. then i made a sign to the cashier that i would take care of it . they gave him the dog, he thanked me and i smiled everyone was happy. Cashier said that was a kind thing to do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gman2304
I've picked up the tab for the person behind me in drive throughs numerous times.

How do you accomplish this?
Do you simply give the drive thru employee extra cash and tell them to use it towards the tab of the person behind you?
If so, how do you know they don't simply pocket it and carry on like nothing happened?

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by gman2304
I've picked up the tab for the person behind me in drive throughs numerous times.

How do you accomplish this?
Do you simply give the drive thru employee extra cash and tell them to use it towards the tab of the person behind you?
If so, how do you know they don't simply pocket it and carry on like nothing happened?

Usually by the time I'm at the window to pay, the person behind me has already placed their order at the speaker. The cashier therefore knows what that person's total is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back