Engine sounds and drives way better after oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has probably been beat to death but I'm confused about something. So I was running castrol edge 5w30 or another name brand full synthetic and I decided to get an oil change a couple thousand before the actual due date as winter is approaching. The oil still had life left and my truck olm never said anything. I got a fresh oil change with the Dexos 2 gm stuff at the dealership and wow the truck sounds and drives way smoother and better now. It just feels completely different at the same oul weight. What I don't understand tho is that the old oil that was in the vehicle before was full synthetic name brand and still had tons of life left but now with fresh oil my truck sounds and drives way better?

Anyone can explain this? Cuz I know for sure the old oil in the truck wasn't bad and easily could have been run longer so the answer can't be "the old oil needed to be changed"

The new oil is probably thinner and maybe more moly and your engine likes the thinner oil.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
The new oil is probably thinner and maybe more moly and your engine likes the thinner oil.

Or maybe the new oil is thicker (old oil was sheared and diluted) and that engine likes thicker oil.

My Ecoboost was quieter on M1 0w40 than with M1 or PUP 5w30

My 5.3L is quieter than the eB and that's on 0w20.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Or maybe the new oil is thicker (old oil was sheared and diluted) and that engine likes thicker oil.

-1-
iirc, fuel economy/efficiency is one of the considerations with dexos oils and maybe more moly or the equivalent as well ...
-2-
also op went from Castrol Edge (I assume non-dexos based on his post) to a dexos oil ...

Based on the above, the odds are that the op went from thicker to thinner.

there is also imagination factor but let's not go there! My car sounds and runs better when I top up fluids and wash the car.
grin2.gif

That was my thought, My 2011 GMC Terrain I4 sounds noticeable quieter and feels smoother with PP. PP 5w-30 is known for being on the thin side of the 5w-30 spectrum. Could just be my imagination but other people over at the terrain forums mentioned the same thing.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

That could very well be the case too.

Originally Posted by 4WD
My Ecoboost was quieter on M1 0w40 than with M1 or PUP 5w30

My 5.3L is quieter than the eB and that's on 0w20.

You getting your hearing aides in your stocking this year 4wd ??
lol.gif

Maybe they checked your rig for any missing computer flash TSB's and flew them in while they had your vehicle.

I bet if you let the wife drive it she wouldn't notice anything. That is when you know it was all in your head which is probably the case.
What happened is you went in with hot thin oil in the pan and they filled it with cold oil which is thicker until it warms up, that's all it is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by apollo18
I know this has probably been beat to death but I'm confused about something. So I was running castrol edge 5w30 or another name brand full synthetic and I decided to get an oil change a couple thousand before the actual due date as winter is approaching. The oil still had life left and my truck olm never said anything. I got a fresh oil change with the Dexos 2 gm stuff at the dealership and wow the truck sounds and drives way smoother and better now. It just feels completely different at the same oul weight. What I don't understand tho is that the old oil that was in the vehicle before was full synthetic name brand and still had tons of life left but now with fresh oil my truck sounds and drives way better?

Anyone can explain this? Cuz I know for sure the old oil in the truck wasn't bad and easily could have been run longer so the answer can't be "the old oil needed to be changed"

Are you sure / positive you had Castrol Edge prior? I ask because you didn't name-brand, what's currently inside your engine.
Unless you do these changes yourself, you are liable to get something different than expected. So much dishonesty out there these days. Even the receipts handed the customer are sometimes wrong. You may receive synblend instead of synthetic and you may receive a viscosity that's different than ordered by you.

Cat & Mouse and Catch Me If You Can is wrapped completely around some of these oil change places..... Dealerships Included!

Last edited:
I would say the old oil was dirty and the new oil lubricated the engine better which made it quieter. I have experienced this myself. My son has a Honda Civic just like mine with about the same miles and his engine is noisier. I think more than likely it's because he doesn't change his oil as frequently a I do. I have noticed this in other vehicles. Keep the oil clean and the engine most likely will run a little quieter. If not, you wasted a few bucks no big deal for peace of mind.

The diagnosis is BITOGitis. It's inflammation in the logic center of the brain characterized by an obsession with oil but more importantly, total belief in one brand/viscosity/certification over another based on completely nonscientific subjective criteria like color, smell and most importantly sound. These "beliefs" persist in the presence of objective data that clearly shows none of it really matters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PWMDMD
The diagnosis is BITOGitis. It's inflammation in the logic center of the brain characterized by an obsession with oil but more importantly, total belief in one brand/viscosity/certification over another based on completely nonscientific subjective criteria like color, smell and most importantly sound. These "beliefs" persist in the presence of objective data that clearly shows none of it really matters.

Exactly. I've sent samples of black oil in that came back with >3.0 TBN. I've got a bottle of oil here that's almost completely black right out of the bottle because of the additive package.

Some ashless dispersants turn dark from UV exposure (from combustion events) making the oil appear black when it actually isn't.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD

[censored] i have baaad BITOGitis, i've changed oil sooner than i really had too based on all three, i'm learning to control it lol

I had oil changed at the VW dealer and the car ran terrible afterwards - so much so that I'm having premium oil of my choice installed this coming Monday at a high expenditure to me.

But on top of the engine being lazy and rough, I can back up with the data point that DIC LTA fuel economy has decreased by an ave of 4 MPG. the oil is "purported " to be same as factory fill, but I have not be able to confirm that with first hand eyeball evidence.
I shall try and snoop more on Monday.

Maybe it wont recover and some damage is done, but got to give it the Ol' College Try !

or is it the Oil Sanitiorium Escape?

Thing is called evolution/advances. New friction modifiers and dispersants are making their way into our oils. They DONT show up on a regular VOA, or SDS. I will gladly post the 1st half-decent write-up I see.

P.S. If oil did not make any difference, what are we doing here
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back