Engine Oils as Gear Oils....

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's my understanding that engine oil does not have the "extreme pressure" additives that gear oil has.

Originally Posted By: tig1
It's my understanding that engine oil does not have the "extreme pressure" additives that gear oil has.

Generally yes, except for some engine oils for specialty applications.

But not all gear oils are EP either and not all gearboxes require EP performance. Sometimes good anti-wear or just a thick (strong) oil film is all that is needed to protect some gearboxes.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Type F ATF was specified for my Mazda's manual transmission. When the bearings had to be replaced (at about 360K) the shop filled it with a higher viscosity oil they said was a synthetic gear oil, but couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me specifically what it was. Thereafter, the transmission was much quieter than ever, but tended to burp oil out its breather vent, even if the level was alarmingly low.

Those early fwd 323's (more often badged as a Ford Laser here) were the first cars we came across with shifting problems. Checking customers cars after they had been to the dealership, we found them with ATF in the gearbox. The advise was, if it has ATF in there, put ATF back in, if it was gear oil, put that back in. This was before dedicated low viscosity gearbox oils were available. When they became common, that's what we put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back