Engine oil filter used upstream of electric oil pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I am developing a manual transmission cooler kit for a specific application. The transmission does not have any internal mechanical pump for an external cooler, so an external electric pump will be used.

I would like to filter the fluid BEFORE it goes through the pump, both for the pump's sake and the transmissions. For ease of serviceability, i would like to use a [high quality] spin-on oil filter (probably the smallest one I can find, such as from a motorcycle). I do not want to use the inline-style filters as i am pretty sure you have to remove oil lines and completely uninstall it to take it apart & clean it.

I am researching what the downsides / risks are associated with PULLING oil through a filter rather than PUSHING it through.

Some considerations:

- The manual transmission fluid used is a 90 weight gear oil, which, when up to temperature, is essentially the same viscosity as 30 weight motor oil.
- The electric pump with be on a temperature switch, so it will not turn on until the oil is at / above normal operating temp.
- The filter and pump will both sit below the fill line of the gearbox, so they will always be full of oil when the pump turns on
- The electric pump pushes a low volume of fluid (compared to an engine oil pump), approximately 1.0gpm

So I'm looking for:
-Specific data on what happens when you PULL oil through a filter instead of PUSH it.
-Any other suggestions for an inline filter that is easily serviced without taking the whole thing apart.

How about a metal can, 3/8" nipple magnefine transmission filter. Should do fine regardless of pull/push configuration.

https://magnefinefilters.com/

[Linked Image]

Most pumps are rated to deliver pressure.
You will need to make sure whatever pump you purchase is rated for suction and self-prime.

A PH8a sized filter base kit would be a good size and the simplest design would be a Differential cooler kit.

Originally Posted by Ride_Red
Most pumps are rated to deliver pressure.
You will need to make sure whatever pump you purchase is rated for suction and self-prime.

I'd suggest setting up a simple bench test to see how the pump performs while sucking gear oil at temp.

Good idea.

The pump I'm considering using is designed to be an electric turbo oil scavenge pump, so I think I'm on the right path

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back