Engine oil additives little changed during OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Most commercial organic molys are thick, black, gungy semi-liquids. Like most additives, at typical engine oil temperatures, they are essentially non-volatile.

Does a by-pass filter filter them out?

If they are nano-particle in size (50-100 nm) no filter will filter them out, since even by-pass filters only filter down to 5 micrometers.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29026/engine-bypass-filtration

Most commercial organic molys are thick, black, gungy semi-liquids. Like most additives, at typical engine oil temperatures, they are essentially non-volatile.

As delivered to the additive formulator or additive blending facility, all additives are very viscous in their virgin states, anywhere from 60 cSt to 1050 cSt.

That's why one applies heat at the blending facility to make sure all these additive components mix with the carrier oil.

One of my Oronite additive packs for Diesel Oil has a viscosity of 105 cSt@100C.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

As delivered to the additive formulator or additive blending facility, all additives are very viscous in their virgin states, anywhere from 60 cSt to 1050 cSt.

That's why one applies heat at the blending facility to make sure all these additive components mix with the carrier oil.

One of my Oronite additive packs for Diesel Oil has a viscosity of 105 cSt@100C.

Be that as it may, if you've come in to work early to make up 20kg of an oil from scratch for an urgent engine test that will start later that evening, and the warehouse heating hasn't quite kicked in yet and you're freezing your nuts off, then I can assure you that the Moly that goes into the bucket direct from its container is the 'thickest of the thick' and has the consistency of semi-molten black boot polish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back