Engine life threshold where you are satisfied with longevity?

In the old days if you rolled 100K miles on an engine it was a big deal and if it dies at 100,001 miles, you generally though you got your moneys worth.

Whats the new threshold? 150K, 200K, 300, 400? I know this forum about maintenance means most folks here are frugal and have expectations of an expensive item to last longer than the typical person so that will tilt the bias but whats a real number.

In the early 2000s I had one die (timing chain jumped the gear) at 150K. I was disappointed I didn't get rid of the car prior to this happening but I was OK. got $800 for it and the new owner dropped in a new engine and was happy. The body and interior was in very good condition. My self now over 150K and 15 years would be OK since I don't put that many miles on the cars anymore.

What do you folks think?

Last edited by a moderator:
It really depends on application, IMO. It's different if you rack up a lot of miles vs. if it's a short tripper. If you drive a lot, I'd say 200K-300K miles. On a short tripper - 100K-150K. In terms of age, 15-20 years maybe, but I don't know how many people keep their cars this long nowadays.

FWIW, my 530i is now 18 years old and has 116K miles on the clock. Most of the issues that have been popping up lately are due to me short tripping it mostly, I think, and also parking outside during winter.

200-250K is what I’d consider “you got your money’s worth” out of an engine. Most people won’t run a car out to that mileage, so in my mind the engine should last relatively problem free until the rest of the car is wearing out.

Last edited:
I would say 200-300K but that is pulling numbers out of my backside. It really depends on the engine eg an old MB diesel had 600K in them all day long even in taxi stop and go short trip duty with normal maintenance, a VW 2.0 slow can easily go 300-400K ditto some Toyota and Honda engines and many others.
Some are lucky to get 150K without something major happening eg VW 1.8, old Saab 2.0T with a 4qt sump, the notorious Pontiac Fiero, some 3.0 Toyota engines and again many more. Notice these are sludge monsters even if the book OCI or OLM was followed.
The chevy Vega 2.3, the Cadillac HT4100 were some of the worst engines ever produced, not matter how well you took car of it it was going to have a short life.

Today we see more failed transmissions than failed engines, PS systems can be expensive and labor intensive on some cars, I have seen cars junked for these sort of failures. Given proper care the engine will probably outlast the rest of the components and body (depending on location) by a long shot.
For example I saw a 6 year old Ranger 3.0, 4 wheel drive with 32K on the clock go to the bone yard with a wonky transmission and frame broken from rot in 3 places. It ran great, mint inside and out except for the frame.

I'd expect 250k miles trouble free. Then some oil burning or baby leaks and nursing to about 350k miles. That's for a boring Toyota. For something more spirited I'd have to be willing to trade spirit for longevity.

In the old days if you rolled 100K miles on an engine it was a big deal and if it does at 100,001miles, you generally though you got your moneys worth.

Whats the new threshold? 150K, 200K, 300, 400? I know this forum about maintenance means most folks here are frugal and have expectations of an expensive item to last longer than the typical person so that will tilt the bias but whats a real number.

In the early 2000s I had one die (timing chain jumped the gear) at 150K. I was disappointed I didn't get rid of the car prior to this happening but I was OK. got $800 for it and the new owner dropped in a new engine and was happy. The body and interior was in very good condition. My self now over 150K and 15 years would be OK since I don't put that many miles on the cars anymore.

What do you folks think?
Our '03 Park Ave (3800 series 2) runs great with 190,000 miles on it, but the transmission is getting rough. Our '94 Olds 98 (supercharged) was running great and trans was also good with 250,000 miles on it, but a coolant leak while my son was driving it on a long trip killed that car.
Our trucks at work go to auction usually running great at between 200,000 and 250,000 miles. But the suspension, steering, accessories, etc. are all done. Sometimes transmissions are starting to fail too on these trucks.

GM 2 speed slush boxes used to be done at 60K. Torqueflights and Ford C series were much better.

Our TSX and Tundra are at 200K.
TSX needed a water pump, alternator and a coil.
Tundra? I'm thinking... I should probably replace the plastic radiator to avoid the strawberry milkshake...
I think they could easily go 50K, 100K or more.

GS is only at 70K. RX and Model 3 are new. Model 3 motor should last 500K.
I doubt I will ever see any of these numbers. Too far out in the future. All good.

For me..when the extended warranty runs out. I kept cars forever in the past. That ended in 2018 when I bought my Forester XT and continued last year when I got rid of a 2016 Chevy Spark to buy a '19 Crosstrek.

Definitely 200k plus. I was bummed my geo engine went kaput at 246k miles. I felt shortchanged

All depends on how a vehicle is used. A gas truck engine being used to town its max weight rating every day in the hills 300k miles or even as little as 200k miles could be considered acceptable.

Driving on the highway every day a steady speed with no load I would hope for over 600k miles since it's been achieved by several trucks over the years (GM and Toyota trucks at least with a million miles on them).

My engine in my 05 Silverado has 8600 hours and 197k miles. Used in dusty conditions, lots of stop and go, idling. It runs great still and I'm hoping for 400k miles since I'm babying it now with better oil and filters and reasonable OCI. It ran 180k on conventional oils.

Depends on application and what your goals are. This is where leasing might be more beneficial to some.

In other words, I might be willing to only get 30,000 miles out of a dedicated track car that I'm pushing beyond it's limits.

But I might want 200K at least out of a commuter I plan to keep for 10 years, and commuting is all I use it for.

16 years of doing maintenance on the 96'Crown Victoria which now has 360,xxx miles using the "dreaded" Fl-820S oil filter 🤣

The rust is winning and the car will be retiring soon I'm afraid.

When you have an engine that has been "remanufactured" by Jasper, you're satisfied when it goes into the garage under its own power, at the end of the day.... with no tow trucks being involved.

200k and I’ll be happy.

I have yet to even put 60k on a car though, Durango had 55k when I bought it and I put another 50k on it before trading.... it’s the goal for the truck and van however.

Depends on application and what your goals are. This is where leasing might be more beneficial to some.

In other words, I might be willing to only get 30,000 miles out of a dedicated track car that I'm pushing beyond it's limits.

But I might want 200K at least out of a commuter I plan to keep for 10 years, and commuting is all I use it for.
The corvettes at Spring Mountain log 20-30k TRACK miles....

150 to 200,000, honestly never kept a vehicle past 150,000 and doubt I ever will.
I have always felt in these forums, for me personally, the new API rated oils are so good that the vehicle itself OR attached non lubricated components of the engine will fail was before the engine ever will.
So with a properly engineered engine, for me, it will last 150,000 care free miles and I would be rid of the vehicle, simply because other parts of the vehicle will be wearing out, seats, doors, AC unit, stuff like that.

With chicago winters the cars typically last 13-17 years, according to some statistics I've seen. This times typical 15k/year is about 250k for the car on the longer end of the lifespan. My nissan SR20DE was at 300k when the rust on the car body took it away at age of 20y.

20 years of my average driving. I've been called relentless, as I am hard on my things and I truly enjoy 80% driving. Yet, I maintain things well and expect good service. No real mileage limit other than what I can accumulate in 20 years.

Possibly of interest, I will not abuse somebody else's equipment. The company trucks gets stellar MPG with me at the helm. Yet, they break before my personal vehicles do (which are run to redline regularly). Could be the towing, could be the other drivers that "trash" the company stuff or it could be the model choice. But any way you slice it, my stuff seems to hold up better than the company stuff.

I wonder if Tesla cars will last 20 years without major repairs.

EDIT: I've been able to achieve well over 200K on all of my vehicles, from the time I started driving, way back in the 1970's. So I'm not at all sure vehicles last longer now.

Back